Allow Me to Explain- Stream of Consciousness Sunday

by Christine@TheAums on May 15, 2011 · 15 comments

After reading this week’s haiku and seeing that picture of my Aumies looking super cute while eating samples at Trader Joe’s, a friend approached me, “So, your kids are like angels, huh? You can take them ANYWHERE, can’t you?”

My first reaction:
HA! (The equivalent of spitting a mouth full of liquid upon shock)
And then, I was all:
Ooohhhh, friend, if you only knew how much I try to avoid going to the market with 4 children in tow, all of whom either want to ride in the cart leaving absolutely no space for food, or hang on to the sides leaving no room for other carts to go around us in the aisles and totally increasing the chances of knocking stuff off the shelves left and right. . It always feels like a lose-lose situation!
Oh, I gave them the prep talk before we went in about how we are going straight in and straight out do not BEG me to get this or that walk close to mama NO RUNNING or SHOUTING be helpful polite cooperative etcetera etcetera…

But once they saw those strawberry shortcake samples, all bets were off. They RAN towards the treats, they repeatedly SHOUTED, “Yum strawberry shortcake!” They BEGGED to buy all the stuff to make them.

As quickly and nonviolentlychalantly as possible, I lined them up against a wall to get them out of the way, and told them to not leave that spot until they finished their sample. And somehow, no one in the store noticed my eyes bugged out, my shallow breaths, moisture seeping through my t-shirt from my armpits, me all stressed out trying to keep things under control. All they saw was a line of cute kids each a couple inches shorter than the next enjoying dessert.

After a few nudges from strangers, “Aren’t you going to take their picture? They’re so cute!” I did. And then, I had to make it through the rest of the shopping with 4 kids amped up on sugar…
#SOCsunday
Stream of Consciousness Sunday is a 5 minute brain dump. Writing in the raw! Here are the rules:
*Set a timer and write for 5 minutes only.
*Write an intro to the post if you want, but don’t edit the post. No proofreading or spellchecking.
*Publish it.
*Link up at allthingsfadra.com

Brandi May 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Ha!! I only have one, and I understand the challenge of trying to shop with a little one in tow!! You are right, though, we definitely have to document the super sweet moments!

heidi May 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Oh, Lordy, I could've written this. LOL That picture is so CUTE though! I took my five plus two others to the store on Friday and I hissed at them under my breath the whole time. Get down, don't touch that, put that back, leave that alone, get off that, if you don't get up off the floor I swear you're going to regret it. The cashier was all, "What great kids! They're so well behaved!" And I'm thinking, this freaking 15 minute run to the store has EXHAUSTED me for the day, damnit!

The Aums Mama May 15, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Oh, Heidi, spot on…your comment is so SPOT ON! Hissing under your breath…HILARIOUS and so true!
And Brandi, the friend who thought I could take my kids anywhere has one child and said she wouldn't complain anymore about taking just her to the market! I'm definitely happy I took this picture!

Phases Of Me May 15, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I only have one myself (she's grown now), but when she was little, I had a friend that had 3 special-needs children. She always wanted me to go with her to do her monthly grocery shopping and somehow, we always ended up with all 4 kids with us (I have no clue why the dad's couldn't watch them…guess it would have interfered with their "man-time"). THAT was a nightmare each and every time. I totally sympathize with you!

Mommy This and That May 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I now have two and rarely take them anywhere by myself. I am just not that brave because the bugged-eyed look you speak of…I too get it. My son is 2 and knows all my buttons to push. And inevitably my 2 month old will blow out a diaper or decide she is starving and I end up a a sweaty, maniacal mess!

But your 4 do look precious standing there!!

Mom Hearts Pinot May 15, 2011 at 5:05 pm

hahaha this is so funny and true- I take alot of pictures of Anna, and everyone says "She must be SUCH an angel! Always smiling!!" and I always say "Um… no. I just don't take pictures of when she's being a terror! Who would want to see those??"

I only have the one, and that's difficult enough for shopping adventures!

Pia f. Walker May 15, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Laugh! There is always a wonderful, amazing, somewhat twisted, story behind photographs. I love your descriptions…and I hope the remainder of your shopping trip was somewhat…tolerable?

MommaResa May 15, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I totally get that they're hell on wheels while in the store, but they are totally too adorable in the picture. :)

Jessica May 15, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I love that picture and can so relate to your story, even though I only have one child. Shopping is always a challenge with children.

The Aums Mama May 15, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Oh you guys, I wish blogger had a better comment system that I could reply individually (if it does, I don't know how), but thanks for reading and commiserating with me! It's true, doesn't matter how many kids you have, you have to have a game plan, nerves of steel, and lots of deodorant for grocery shopping!

Nadine May 17, 2011 at 4:09 am

Thank you for this Aums Mama. I love how you describe the juicy parts of sticky and sweet mama living.

Liz @ Six Year Itch May 18, 2011 at 4:37 am

Your Aumies looks positively devlish, which is exactly how I like then!

They are, without a doubt, so adorable. Your eyes may have been bugging, but I'm with the fellow shoppers on this one.

The Aums Mama May 18, 2011 at 8:13 am

Yup, they know how to work it…especially in public! Their pushover radar is spot on…it's a group effort!

The Aums Mama May 19, 2011 at 4:50 pm

@Nadine…sticky and sweet is exactly what drew them to those strawberry shortcake samples in the first place! Thank you for reading!

NotoriousSpinks May 21, 2011 at 1:37 am

Awwwww!!! They always fool us outsiders.