Haiku Tuesday- Bittersweet Birthday Blues

by Christine@TheAums on May 24, 2011 · 9 comments

My baby is two.
Love is an understatement.
Happy Birthday, dove!

Exactly 2 years ago on the Eve of your
BIRTH day!
1 year later…
Almost 2!
I know this is Haiku Tuesday, so I hope Brandi at Mama Knows It All doesn’t mind a little extra…I just can’t help it! My baby turning two is hitting me hard! There’s been a hard-to-swallow lump in my throat for days now just thinking about it. And if I let myself, I totally bawl! This little dove of mine has brought more joy to my life than I ever imagined, which is saying a lot considering how much joy her 3 siblings have already given me. I don’t quite know how to process all my feelings, so I just look at baby pictures and re-read stuff I’ve written about her. I wrote this little tribute to her last year on the eve of her first birthday:

The day I’ve dreaded for the last 364 days has finally come…the eve of your 1st birthday. From the moment I gave birth to you, I feel like the clock started ticking away. Loudly.  I cherished your first hours of life and loved that I could not yet say you were a day old.  When those first 24 hours went by I cheered myself up with the fact that I couldn’t yet measure you in weeks.  When those first 4 weeks went by, I was sad to switch over to your monthly age, and it’s been bittersweet ever since.  I have loved every moment of watching you unfold and discover life in our small family of six! I know there will always be another eve before the next milestone, but for now, I’m going to revel in these last few hours before you officially turn 1.

And there you have it, folks. Not much has changed.
This was a lot more than 17 syllables, which is all you need to link up with Mama Knows It All. Check out her haiku and linkup here…you can see that our hearts are so in sync right now with our baby girls!

Brandi May 24, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Oh my goodness! So beautiful! It's bittersweet to watch them grow up…I was looking at baby pictures the other day and my heart was melting as if it was the first time I'd seen them. But as they grow, so does the love, huh? I love being a Mom! Thank you, Christine, for this beautiful haiku and post!

Liz @ Six Year Itch May 24, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Beautiful. You can really tell how happy and loved the Aumies are. I get really sappy at birthdays too. Time goes by way too fast — even if that is a cliche.

Mom Hearts Pinot May 24, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Beautiful!! It's so ironic because last night I was cleaning out boxes and I found all these baby and toddler pictures of my nieces and nephews, and it was taking my breath away! I almost forgot what they were like back then. I wish I could stop time!

The Aums Mama May 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm

@Brandi, so true! The love does grow by leaps and bounds! Your haiku link up is my weekly inspiration to stop and reflect, so thank YOU!

@Liz, sappy, huh? you? Love it! I can't wait to give you a big hug in person!

The Aums Mama May 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm

@Jeanne- the ability to stop time is a super power I wish I had too! Loved your grapes-sss haiku!

Alison@Mama Wants This May 27, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Awwww, gorgeous pictures, gorgeous little one, gorgeous words. Happy Birthday to your darling baby Aum!

Sharon at Momof6 May 27, 2011 at 8:22 pm

It has been such a busy week here- that I can't believe it has taken me until Friday to read this!

Such a beautiful post and tribute to your baby! I know that when we have have a new family member, that everyone tells us how fast it will all go by- but really, could you have ever imagined 2 years ago that this day would arrive? And what it would look like and feel like? And I hate to think about how fast it is going to continue to fly by…. that too gives me a lump in my throat.

Thanks for sharing this post with all us!

Hungrigyrl May 30, 2011 at 9:04 pm

This is my first time visiting your blog. Your baby is adorable! 2 years…its an adorable milestone. All your kids are cute! You have been blessed! My youngest is 2.5, and it makes me sad that he's "growing up" already. I wish we could stop time, or slow it down just a little. But of course speed it up during the day when I am at work. LOL

The Aums Mama June 1, 2011 at 12:37 pm

@Alison Thank you! I made it through the bday and festivities…so glad I stopped to write how I feel!

@Sharon That's okay, I've slowed down on my posting anyway! Lumps in my throat are so common these days! I remember her labor like yesterday because it was actually enjoyable (up until those last pushes), but she sent me out on a high note, so I can't help but wish for that moment back of holding her for the first time. I better stop…getting all teary again!

@Hungrigyrl Thanks for visiting! Hope you come back soon! Slowing down time would be an awesome super power, right? About the only thing I want to happen faster is them falling asleep at night, lol!