A Lot of Stuff and Links – Catchy Title, eh?

by Christine@TheAums on August 16, 2011 · 17 comments

I am going to attempt something tonight, in this one blog post, and that is to include a lot of…stuff. It all kind of relates, but I’m warning you, it’s A LOT!

BODY IMAGE

It was only one month ago that Liz Henry, of Six Year Itch fame, and I debuted our docu-vlog (yes, that’s documentary video log) on body image. It was during my switch to WordPress so I didn’t get the chance to post about it here. But Liz picked up the slack on her blog with her post “Have You Loved Your Body Today?”

Truly, the topic of body image struck a chord with women across the internet and soon, fellow bloggers were making their own videos and writing posts sharing their very deep, personal feelings. We even held what turned out to be an amazing twitter chat, using the hashtag #geekher, which brought together an awesome group of women who all shared something in common…a less than ideal body image.

I’ll let the video speak for itself:

Now, as I mention in the video, body image is something I think about day in and day out. I would like to change this, of course, and feel like I’ve been trying to do so for far too long now.

21 DAY LIFESTYLE MAKEOVER

Tonight, I attended a meeting that kicks off a 21-Day Lifestyle Makeover. Yes, I’ve added yet another challenge to my plate. The exercise component starts tomorrow at 6 am when, surely, I will be kicking myself for signing up and thinking it’s really not that bad to live in elastic waist pants every day.

Tonight, I was weighed and measured, and I discovered that despite my many short and long term attempts to lose weight since baby #4, I simply haven’t. I still weigh the same amount I did over a year ago. Kinda frustrating, kinda depressing, kinda motivating. Kinda.

MONDAY LISTICLES

So, in honor of Stasha’s Monday Listicles linkup, I created a list of helpful tips I picked up from tonight’s meeting. And given that her theme this week is “10 things You Miss,” I will say that I miss my pre-pregnancy body. Heck, I even miss my post 2 kids body!

10 TIPS FROM THE 21-DAY LIFESTYLE MAKEOVER CHALLENGE (In the interest of shortening this post, I left out my sarcastic commentary.)

1. Hydration. Visualize water as the highway that carries all the nutrients where they need to go in your body.
  2.  Figure out how much H20 you need by dividing your weight in pounds by 2.2. Then multiply by 25 if you’re inactive, 30 if you’re moderately active, or 35 if you’re very active. The answer is the amount of milliliters of H2O you need per day. Divide your answer by 30 to convert to ounces. You might actually need more or less than the recommended 8 glassses a day!
  3. Try to get all your water drinking in by dinner so that you are not up all night peeing. Also, caffeinated and carbonated fluid doesn’t count. Surprisingly, Pelegrino counts because of the added calcium.
  4. You need to eat in order to lose weight. Skipping meals or consuming too few calories slows down your metabolism and works against your weight loss goals in the long run.
  5. Eating off smaller  salad plates can help you control portions.
  6. Try to get most of your groceries from the perimeter of a market where the healthiest food is stored and avoid the aisles where the most processed food is kept.
  7. To get an idea of the minimum amount of calories you should eat daily, even if you lead a sedentary lifestyle, start with the number 106 for your first 5 feet of height. Multiply every inch beyond that by 5 (6 if you’re a guy) and add that number to 106. Divide your answer by 2.2 and multiply by 20. You should not go below this amount of calorie-intake and if you further divide by 5, you will get an idea of how much you should aim for when eating 5 small meals a day.
  8. Don’t undereat in order to overeat. It’s called food foresight. In other words, if you know you will be at an event where you want to eat, drink, and be merry, rather than skip eating all day, try to scale back a few of your meals just a tad and get some good workouts in the day before and after.
  9. I haven’t tried either of these sites yet, but livestrong.com was recommended by our challenge coaches, and loseit.com was mentioned by someone in the audience. Seems they both help you track your caloric intake and burn.
  10. This is my own tip…try as much as possible to enlist the support of friends. I joined this challenge with my good friend, Heidi, and look forward to cheering her on and motivating each other.

Now, I don’t know what it is about my personality type, but I just love a good challenge! As if the 21 Day Lifestyle Makeover wasn’t enough, I have enthusiastically agreed to be the ambassador for The iVillage Mealtime Makeover Community Challenge starting August 29. I’d love it if you signed up and took on the challenge with me!

See, I told you I had A LOT to fit into this one post. I know you’re busy…so a big thank you for reading! Please let me know if you are taking on any challenges these days so I can cheer you on!

jacqui August 16, 2011 at 11:00 am

You accomplished your goal of including a lot of stuff into this post, so congratulations! I’ve been trying to drink the proper amount of water each day for awhile now and it really makes a huge difference in how you feel…both inside and outside. It hydrates your skin from the inside out and I wouldn’t even need to use lotion anymore if I didn’t want to.

Christine@TheAums August 17, 2011 at 7:52 am

Ok, it’s so true how simply drinking enough water makes a ginormous difference in how our bodies function inside and out. I once had a facial and the esthetician could tell my skin was dehydrated when doing extractions! That helped me get on board with drinking more water, but I still need reminders some days. Thanks for reading such a long, convoluted post!

Stasha August 16, 2011 at 11:05 am

This list came at the most oportune time for me since I just realised my jeans hates me. 21N I can commit to that! Thank you, my dear friend.

Christine@TheAums August 17, 2011 at 7:55 am

Stasha, I’m glad you could extract something helpful from that mess of a post!

Brandi August 16, 2011 at 11:37 am

I feel good that I at least drink a lot of water! Yay! All of the other stuff…not so much. Boo!!

Christine@TheAums August 17, 2011 at 11:02 pm

The nutritionist coach talked about water for like half an hour so I think you have the most important habit down! Woohoo! The other habit she really stressed was eating frequently in order to keep our metabolism running like a hamster on a wheel. She said to aim for frequency before quality and quantity. You will find that you really don’t want to eat tons of junk 5 times a day every day so you will naturally improve the quality and quantity. I thought that was helpful.

Ado August 16, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I loved all the info packed into this one post – holy cow, it’s a good one!
I also love the idea of your “21 day body challenge” and look forward to hearing more. On the whole topic of how much H20 to drink, calories to eat etc. – I long ago had to stop doing that and just keep it simple, i.e., “drink lots of water” and “eat whole foods” with some simple portion control, i.e. “4 0z protein @ lunch” etc. – I can’t seem to follow directions when it comes to formulas and specifics – I will rebel. (I know this from years of experience rebelling…) Anyway looking forward to your posts over the next 21 days – good luck at your workout tomorrow. (-:

Christine@TheAums August 17, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Thanks, Ado! I think I overdid it with this post, but somehow couldn’t stop myself. I know exactly what you mean with all the calculation stuff. I think because I have coaches helping me along it sort of made sense and I wanted to share it with you all. Also, I feel the same…keep it simple, stay hydrated, etc…but because I haven’t reached my goals in sooo long despite my many efforts, I was willing to get all formulaic about it. We shall see!

mom2kiddos August 16, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Those are really great tips. I’m certainly not drinking enough water, especially at night because I don’t like getting up in the middle of the night to pee.

Christine@TheAums August 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Thank you! I used to think I was a pretty good water drinker, but what happens these days is I simply forget or lose track of time before realizing how long since my last drink of water. Hopefully I’ll change this habit over the next 3 weeks.

Annie @ Mama Dweeb August 16, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I am so glad you stopped by my blog, cause it brought me here! I love your sense of humor so much. I find myself doing that same Aummm throughout my day with a 4 yo 2 yo and 8 mo. YIKES

Body image is such a deep topic. I know I could go on about my transformation from shy and insecure to confidence – and it all happened after I became a mom :)

Christine@TheAums August 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Yes…4, 2, and 8 mos….we can definitely relate! Feel free to tweet me an #Aummm every now and then when you especially need one.
I love how positive you feel about your transformation AFTER becoming a mom. Seems like it’s usually the opposite as we try to make sense of our post-partum bodies.

Liz @ The Six Year Itch August 17, 2011 at 9:55 pm

To be honest, there’s a lot of math involved in this. When that happens my eyes glaze over and I start looking at celebrity pictures. Ahh, celebrities frolicking.

In all seriousness, I can’t even handle a challenge. Getting to bed at a halfway decent time is a challenge. I’ve considered The Berenstain Bears diet, which is really following the bears advice in No More Junk Food. The thing is: I need Mama Bear to my Papa Bear. I don’t have the space in my mind to fit “body issues” right now.

I’ll follow along with the makeover your meals.

Christine@TheAums August 17, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Yeah, I knew the math stuff was too much. In fact, this whole post was too much! The truth is I DON’T HAVE TIME FOR BODY ISSUES which is why I’m doing the challenges. I need to free up some mind space, too.

Cookie's Mom August 29, 2011 at 5:59 am

Christine, I’m so grateful for your post and video. LOVE the both of you in that video – so very real. I know it will help many others. I’m like you Christine. I get the eye rolls. I look ‘fine’. In fact, I’m plagued by looking ‘fine’ even when I feel like death, so I don’t get a lot of sympathy. Thus, I don’t often complain. I just hold it in – literally and figuratively. I especially like your last point (#10) – having a workout buddy, or just being part of an exercise class, makes a huge difference to my success in achieving my goals. Plus, I’m working on them with other women who are going through their own challenges. They support me, I support them – that’s a fantastic feeling.

I’m here for you too! C’mon 10 pounds! See you later muffin top!

Christine@TheAums August 31, 2011 at 7:36 am

Thanks, Sue…for understanding and relating to what I’m going through. 2 years after having my fourth baby and I’m wondering what a realistic expectation for “getting my body back” is. Would love to kiss the muffin top good bye!