Where I Compare Eggs to Bubba Gump Shrimp

by Christine@TheAums on August 30, 2011 · 10 comments

Oh.my.gosh. I am living out my dream of having my own cooking show thanks to iVillage.com! Ok, I don’t really have my own cooking show, but I have this great video that shows me cracking eggs and stuff. It’s part of the iVillage Mealtime Makeover Community Challenge which kicked off yesterday! Please take a moment to sign up and inspire your mealtime over the next four weeks and beyond! And check out my “recipe” for quiche below…it’s pretty open to interpretation.

I make quiche a lot! It’s an easy meal that requires what I usually have in the fridge…eggs, milk, and cheese. I normally keep frozen pie crusts stocked in my freezer as well.

The beauty of using frozen pie crust…you can make it look homemade. Crimp it, flute it, own it like you made it from scratch, baby!

My basic recipe uses 3 eggs, 1 cup of milk ,and 1 cup of grated cheese. Swiss cheese has a nice mellow flavor that blends well, plus bonus calcium! Try experimenting with whatever cheeses your family enjoys…you really can’t go wrong!

As far as jazzing it up with other ingredients on hand, the skies the limit! I usually make two quiches at a time, one simple with frozen corn and one with anything and everything from broccoli and green onions to chopped spinach and sauteed mushrooms.

Just place your ingredients and cheese in the pie crust and sprinkle a little salt and pepper. Whisk the eggs and milk together and pour over the top. Bake at 425 F until the eggs have set to a golden brown.

Call it quiche, call it scrambled egg pie…once you make your first one, you’ll be hooked! Make them for guests, bring them to potlucks, enjoy as an easy meal with your family and maybe even some leftovers!

Brandi August 30, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Okay, now I have to go and buy a pie crust tomorrow. Thanks for inspiring…and seriously, iVillage should consider having a weekly cooking show beyond the Mealtime Makeover. I would totally watch you! I cooked while Skyping with a college friend yesterday and it motivated me to make my meal extra delicious! (and it helps that you are absolutely beautiful!)

Christine@TheAums August 31, 2011 at 7:30 am

Frozen pie crust, Brandi! And remember, the crappier you shape it, the more homemade it looks! I don’t know if you saw my iVoices audition video, but I mention that the one thing no one knows about me is I dream of having my own cooking show w/ my kids and messy kitchen…this is pretty darn close! And the #geekher part of me says Thank You for your compliment. Otherwise, I want to say it’s all smoke and mirrors i.e. plenty of powder and blush! Oh, and good lighting! I’ll pass on your shout out to my camera man :)

Brandi August 30, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Oh, and shout out to the camera guy!! NICE!!!

Dave August 30, 2011 at 9:29 pm

YUM!! No leftovers if I’m there…..d

Christine@TheAums August 31, 2011 at 7:31 am

I will be sure to make some next visit!

Lanae (@Hungrigyrl) September 1, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Very cool, congrats on your “cooking show”! I love eggs too. The great thing too is that when we are running low on food in the house, there usually seems to be eggs – and like you said there are so many things you can make with them! Enjoyed your video.

Christine@TheAums September 2, 2011 at 8:58 am

Thanks, Lanae! Quiche, frittata, scrambled eggs in burritos, pita pockets, and bagels! What do you do?

Runnermom-jen September 4, 2011 at 7:29 am

Oh my gosh! You rock, girl!! LOVE that you wear goggles to chop onions…very creative ;) Your family is so adorable!

Liz @ The Six Year Itch September 8, 2011 at 3:13 pm

You did great! So jealous of your fabulous shooting skills. You’re a pro.

Christine@TheAums September 8, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Thanks, Liz…can you see why I have no freaking time to blog anymore?!