As I see yet another Stream of Consciousness Sunday, Monday Listicles, Haiku Tuesday, Wordless Wednesday, Thoughtful Thursday, Fashion Friday pass me by…I feel weird. Apologetic. Guilty. I feel like an explanation is needed.
When I started my blog a year ago, I didn’t realize how much maintenance and how little sleep a blog requires. Kinda like when you start a family.
Your blog, just like your child, has basic needs.
1. It needs to be fed, plain and simple. Without food, i.e. posts, your blog will die, although, it can go a long time without so much as a Wordless Wednesday. But to grow big and strong…it needs to eat fresh content regularly.
2. It needs to be properly clothed. I’m talking about design here. If you want your blog to reflect you, attract readers, or stand out in the crowd, it needs the right attire in the form of a killer header, color scheme, social media buttons, a catchy tagline, an About Me page, and oh, so much more! Plus, your blog may feel peer pressure and want to follow the latest trends in blog design, so be prepared to shell out time and money, unless you’re a DIYer, in which case…a lot more time.
3. It needs interaction. Even when basic needs are met, children will fail to thrive without human contact. Likewise, your blog needs readers and comments, at least every now and then, in order to succeed. By engaging with readers, your blog’s survival chances increase substantially, and doubly so when you take the time to read and comment on others.
4. It needs friends. In other words…link ups, guest posts, and blog hops. Every prompt I mention in the first paragraph above is a like a playdate for my blog. Putting your blog out there and making meaningful connections will help your blog branch out further in the world wide web and gain valuable social (media) skills.
5. It needs a rest. You know, so you can have time to tend to the other areas of your life and get some Zs. And your blog, just like your child, will fight going to bed at a decent hour, will beg for 10 more minutes over and over again because it knows you will cave in to finish a post. It will do all in its power to prevent you from getting a quality night’s sleep.
So, I ask you, can one sleep AND successfully meet your blog’s needs? How long can you go between posts without losing your blogging mojo?
P.S. This month is my first blogoversary! Yay…Happy Birthday to The Aums! I guess it makes sense that my blog is a Libra as I’m always trying to find the balance of fitting it into my life. Stay tuned for more pensive posts about how I’m not meeting my blog’s basic needs.