Stream of Consciousness Sunday- Carpe Dinner!

by Christine@TheAums on September 11, 2011 · 10 comments

#SOCsunday
Do me a favor and check out side. Is it a blue moon? Because really, there’s no other explanation for what occurred today…in my kitchen.

I started the morning by making pancakes. Not just add water to a mix kind…no siree! Try whole grain flour, yogurt and beet puree! If it sounds awful to you, just remember, they will eventually be slathered with maple syrup, so how bad could they be? Anyway, I made enough to get 3…THREE breakfasts out of them throughout the week!

Lunch was a casual cheese, crackers, fruit, leftover quiche.

Then, I couldn’t stop myself.

I thought of what I wanted us to eat this week and then I started prepping it.

I made lentil soup in the biggest pot I had that will give us somewhere around 5 or 6 meals!

The kids and I chopped veggies and cubed tofu for a future stir fry. The leftovers will be further chopped into a fried rice for lunch.

We chopped more veggies for these corn and black bean tacos I make.

I started slow-cooking another big pot of pinto beans. They will taste wonderful alone. They will make great taco night fillings and salad toppings. They will be awesome mashed.

I made enough baked tofu for an army…not that any army craves tofu.

I’m going to plan on some easy sandwich, veggie burger, baked potato meals as well.

Well, enough tootin my horn, but c’mon…this NEVER happens to this degree.

If you don’t know already, this month I am taking part in the iVillage Mealtime Makeover Community Challenge.You can see my latest video below. Can you tell I’m inspired? There’s still time to join and learn some useful tips and recipes, plus share yours! Do you ever prep any meals ahead of time or freeze stuff for later? I’d love to know your favorites!

Stasha September 11, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I made pancakes from scratch yesterday. And I can flip them for real. y son thinks I am a rock star! Lentil soup, yum. Can I come over for dinner?

Christine@TheAums September 11, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Dude, once you make pancakes from scratch it is haaaard to go back to the just add water. One day soon your son will want to flip his own pancake and you should totally let him. Let me know if you need any tips cuz the Aumies are pancake flipping pros! And consider this an official dinner invite should you find yourself in my neck of the woods :)

Sheila Pai September 12, 2011 at 11:25 am

You are a marvel!

Christine@TheAums September 12, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Sheila, it’s a case of the pot calling the kettle black, no?

Dave and Celia September 12, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Must be the Harvest moon which peaked last night….d

Christine@TheAums September 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm

It was a pretty moon last night, that’s for sure!

Aleta September 12, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Ok, I have to know, how do you cook the pinto beans? I love those, but I don’t have a recipe for them!

Christine@TheAums September 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Oh, no! Aleta, I’m the worst with recipes, but beans are pretty easy…keep it simple. After sorting and picking out rocks, cover beans with a few inches of water, bring to a boil, and then simmer for a long time (hours really, just check until they’re cooked and broth is consistency you like…we like it thick.) You can add a peeled onion and some garlic cloves to the broth and then some salt towards the end. I don’t usually soak overnight, but I think if you want them to cook faster this is a good step. I’ll try to pay more attention next time and if I’ve forgotten anything I’ll let you know, but really keeping it simple is the secret :)

Brandi September 13, 2011 at 6:14 am

Whew! Girl, you were on a roll! It totally had to be something in the air, because on Saturday, Ayva and I made Apple Pancakes from scratch, blondies and then for dinner I cut potatoes and made hashbrowns. The moon was working overtime last weekend!

Christine@TheAums September 13, 2011 at 10:07 am

You know how everything happens for a reason…I do believe I was meant to have healthy meals checked off my list this week b/c otherwise a day like today, after a night like last night, would be a total disaster. As it is, that lentil soup sounds perfect for lunch. Apple pancakes sound really good, too! I’ve never had a blondie and I’m wondering if that’s what you used the agave for? Have you ever made potato latkes…my family likes them with applesauce and sour cream…you should try them one day, almost like hashbrowns.