Spam? No Thanks, My Blog is Vegetarian.

by Christine@TheAums on September 17, 2011 · 6 comments

Just a little update about my switch from Blogger to WordPress so far…

It hasn’t been what I’d call easy, and I’m settling in ever… so… slowly.

The number one feature I like is the Comments. I love that I can individually reply to each and every kind reader who leaves me a little feedback. I’ve noticed an increase in comments from readers other than my family members and it feels great!

The flipside is, I’ve also noticed an increase in spam and lately it feels out of control. For the past 3 days it has been round the clock, something like 2 spammy comments per hour. Why are they wasting their time with me and my blog?

And by “they,” I’m talking about:

imoneavdrosc, dwanersher, foussellwhit, camsex18, umpbran, rmnydi, demostheneparis, eentrev, aldamezalle, gok-kasten, edoxitara, low price anafranil sr, ogaylerdean, mitkail, tomile, mainlandalbe, unstamantpame, tkpstv, oreraefo, ustamantpame,

And many, many more. Those are the names they leave along with email addresses and websites I would never, ever click on!

They leave the most idiotic comments disguised as compliments and always incomplete, such as:

OMG! It’s like you understand my mind! You seem to know so much about this, just like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, besides that, this is great blog. A outstanding read. I’l

I am impressed, I have to say. Really rarely do I see a blog thats both informative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the matter is something that not many people are talking intelligently a

Awesome site you’ve got here. Looks like you really know your stuff. I’m glad I found this in my searches.I realy liked your angle that you have on the topic. Certainly wasn’t planning on this at the time I begun browsing for tips. Your ideas were totally

Or, they have nothing to do with anything:

Usually, fashion, considered as fads, is extremely changeable. Then, what is actually the fashion trend?
In fact, your closet, for example, can answer it. When it comes to the fashion industry, it’s a continuously changing world. Even though some trend

My friends at Growing Fabulosokids wrote about spam earlier this week and OMG! It’s like they understand my mind! All kidding aside, after they posted, their spam comments stopped. Coincidence? I have no idea. All I know is it’s annoying and a waste of time, as in, I just wasted my time writing about it…or did I? We shall see.

P.S. Started writing this less than an hour ago and got 2 more…I should’ve saved my cursing for this post!

Amber September 17, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I hate that s word but love the photo you used for it.

Christine@TheAums September 17, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Thanks, the Monty Python pic was way too cool for a dumb post like this ;)

West Philly Mama September 17, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Here’s hoping this is the ticket to stopping them. :) “It’s like you understand my mind!” That is too freaking funny. I need to work that into my daily speech.

Christine@TheAums September 17, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Yes, fingers crossed! Here’s one you can start leaving on other blogs, lol:
Awesome blog, it’s just like a game for me! It’s so infomative and usefull, thanks a lot! If you post more of this great stuff, I’ll visit your blog again!

Sheila Pai September 17, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Even my little blog gets ridiculous spam like that! In fact, I was just thinking about it last night when I emptied completely inappropriate, upbeat and irrelevant spam comments on my MISCARRIAGE post. Obviously, something automated is going on, but I guess it struck me. I was thinking, “I am strong enough and in a place that this affected me not at all (except intellectually). But what about someone (or me) earlier in the grieving process? What would it feel like to read this nonsense after pouring my heart and spirit out so vulnerably about a recent, heavy loss?” Needless to say, I was disgusted……and then this post of yours…..

Christine@TheAums September 18, 2011 at 9:16 am

Sheila, it’s so hard for me to wrap my head around the automated thing because guess what? Since I posted less than 24 hours ago, there has been a huge decrease in spam comments! They seemed to fizzle out within hours of posting yesterday. How did the spambots know or care? I know it’s too soon to speak, but I can’t help thinking the person/people behind it have moved on to another innocent blog. I was following in the footsteps of fabulosokids who also posted about it and saw an end to the spam. I’m sure it’s a matter of time before it starts up again, but for now, it was nice to wake up to NO spam comments for breakfast. You know which post of mine really got bombarded? The one about Remembering 9/11. Weird.