Monday Listicles- 10 Things Quotable

by Christine@TheAums on October 3, 2011 · 16 comments

I’m a terrible movie reviewer, I will admit. (Hmm, where have we heard that before?)

One of the most intimidating situations for me is to be among a group of movie buffs discussing the plot and it’s holes, the acting, the cinematography, yadda yadda yadda.

I usually don’t have much to contribute besides, “I liked it!” or you know, “It was okay.”

Once, I was picked up from the airport along with a van-full of strangers en route to a friend’s wedding.  As luck would have it, everyone got to talking about recently seen movies. Oh yay, my favorite!

I just sat there, content with listening, until a dreaded moment happened and the driver called me out. So, not only did he have to point out how quiet I was, he then put me on the spot by asking me what my favorite movie was.

I playfully replied, “You don’t want to know,” which prompted everyone to groan, “C’mon, tell us!”

So, I took a deep breath, and said 3 words:

“The Three Amigos”

And there was dead silence.

{insert cricket chirps}

It seemed to me a lifetime of stares and blinks, until finally someone said,

“I love that movie!”

And all of a sudden, laughter and quote after quote from the movie filled the van. It was a glorious moment for me. One that made me not care anymore…one that makes me remain forever true to my Dumb and Dumber-loving self.

And so I give you, 10 of my favorite quotes (with bonus audio!):

The 3 Amigos

1. Jefe, would you say I have a plethora of piñatas?
2. Hey, it’s a sweater!Image of Sweater
3. What does that mean? Infamous? Ah, Dusty, infamous is when you’re more than famous. This guy el Guapo is not just famous, he’s IN-famous.Image of What does infamous mean?
4. Whee yaaa, yaaa, ha ha ha!Image of Wheee yaaa

Dumb and Dumber

5. We got no food, we got no jobs… our PET’S HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!
6. According to the map we’ve only gone 4 inches.
7. What’s the soup du jour? It’s the soup of the day. Mmmm, that sounds good. I’ll have that.
8. You know Lloyd, just when I think you couldn’t possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and TOTALLY redeem yourself!

And on that note, let me attempt to redeem myself and this post with 2 of my favorite quotes in life, for reals, because I actually do love and collect inspirational quotes:

9. I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. ~ Jorge Luis Borges

10. My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness. ~ Dalai Lama

Believe it or not, those two quotes are at the heart of my parenting. The other eight just crack me up!

Have 10 quotes you love or live by? Be sure to link up with Stasha over at The Good Life. And if you haven’t checked out my blog roll in progress, please take a moment to discover and follow some of my faves!

Stasha October 3, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I love easy going, light movies. The only quotes I really use and remember are from my son’s favorite Pixar movies. So there…
I had Dalai Lama’s full quote on religion as my Facebook religion update for the longest time. One of my favorites too.
Did I tell you ou were born to make fab lists?

Christine@TheAums October 3, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Thanks, Stasha…I was truly needing some inspirational quotes when it came time to embed all the audio clips. P.S. I wrote the little story about confessing 3 Amigos as my favorite movie ages ago and it’s just been sitting there quietly waiting for its moment…who knew it’d become a list!

Runnermom-jen October 3, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Oh my gosh…I have the whole movie of Dumb and Dumber memorized!! One of the greatest movies EVER!! Right up there with Tommy Boy :) I love the part when they sing Mockingbird..haha! And the bathroom part of course.
P.S. I love that you parent with that Dalai Lama quote in mind…it’s sweet.

Christine@TheAums October 3, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Jen, I think I’m experiencing my first mom-crush, LOL!

Cookie's Mom October 3, 2011 at 7:46 pm

You’re so cute. Actually love some of those dumb and dumber (er?) quotes. And this one is so up my alley: “I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. ~ Jorge Luis Borges”

Christine@TheAums October 3, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I thought you’d like that book one, Sue :)

Dave and Celia October 3, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Love your List, especially the last two. Good movies too. :)
d

Christine@TheAums October 3, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Yes, I finally got down to business by the end. As you can see, I don’t get out to the movies too often, so a date night is number one priority next time you’re up here!

Janice October 4, 2011 at 12:28 am

Dumb and Dumber is one of my favorite comedy movies. Love that you posted quotes from it! The map one is hilarious. I used to be teacher, and this just makes me remember those times I tried to teach kids how to convert map units to real life miles. Yah. That was hard. ;-)

Christine@TheAums October 4, 2011 at 12:46 am

Hey, 3 Amigos is getting no love around here :) Pretty much anything from Dumb and Dumber makes me laugh like I was in grade school and I wasn’t supposed to be laughing…makes me laugh even harder.

Ado October 4, 2011 at 4:33 am

This post was *really* funny – it got me laughing and I woke up Ella (time to wake up anyway). The crickets chirping after The Three Amigos, ha! My husband and I went to Don Juan de Marco as our first date – how pathetic is THAT movie? Now forever after it’s become “part of our story.” Adios, Amiga!

Christine@TheAums October 4, 2011 at 11:31 am

Well, since you already know my taste in movies this shouldn’t come as a shocker…I looooove Don Juan de Marco! I understand I may lose some readers over this, but it’s a risk I’m willing to take! Besides, how cool is it that Johnny Depp is part of your first date story?!

Liz @ The Six Year Itch October 4, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Those are some of my favorites from Dumb & Dumber. I real like:

“I’m talking about a little place called Aspen.”

“Oh, I don’t know Lloyd, the French are assholes.”

Christine@TheAums October 5, 2011 at 8:31 am

Ha! I almost put that one, but you know, the cussing thing…which reminds me! Oh, you know what I’mabout to say!

Valeria October 6, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I am one of the worst to review a movie. But maybe even worst telling a joke.
Anyway, I like the soundtracks very cool.
Jorge Luis Borges knows everything. Great post.

Christine@TheAums October 6, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I haven’t had much practice telling jokes, other than knock, knock ones. I’m so glad you liked the soundtracks because it was a little crazy embedding the code and I almost didn’t! I’m a big JLB fan too :)