A Party Idea You Won’t Find on Pinterest

by Christine@TheAums on November 22, 2011 · 18 comments

My second-born is officially 6 years old. I remember the day I gave birth like it was merely 17 months after my first-born was born! He made his debut at dinner time which pretty much explains why he’s always been a hearty eater and frequently announces that he’d like a snack.

So, the November birthday can be rough. First, you never know what the weather will bring. It will most likely rain if you plan anything outdoors, and it will be a glorious sunny fall day if you plan anything indoors.

On top of that, his is the last family birthday of the year, and so close to the holidays. If I hadn’t already planned his 3 siblings’ plus a husband’s birthday this year, and if I didn’t have to start kicking into Thanksgiving hostess with the mostess mode, I would’ve remembered to reserve some bowling lanes on time like he requested weeks ago, ahem.

Instead, he got what will go down in our family history as…A Minivan Party!

Yes, picture a bunch of kids, 6 to be exact, hopped up on cupcakes and popcorn within the confines of a parked minivan while it is dark and cold outside. Seriously, picture it! Here, I’ll help you:

I was so thankful that my longtime mom friend had no problem with this. She and I sat up front, catching up, while the kids treated the rest of the car like the bounce house I didn’t rent.

It was awesome, actually. We sang happy birthday…opened presents…we even had an activity in the form of window markers! My son was was having a blast!

I was so darn proud of myself for throwing him such a unique and memorable party. I was patting myself on the back that I didn’t let this year get by without doing something special. In fact, my other 3 were asking if they could have minivan parties next year, too. I walked in the door and high-fived my husband telling him I had taken care of everything. Mission accomplished.

Later that night, my son asked me an unexpected question:

Him: Mama, when’s my real party going to be?

Me: What do you mean, your “real party” son?

Him: You know, my reeeeeeaaaaaal party with lots of people?

Me: Um, would you like mama to fix you a little snack?

Fast forward a couple of days to his actual birthday…

With the help of some good friends and family I was able to pull off a reeeeeaaaaal, albeit last minute, party at a local pizzeria complete with a homemade cake that my son has been imagining since forever.

Yup, sometimes we have to learn lessons the hard way. Next year, I’ll be sure to invite more people to the minivan party.

Lisa Dyer November 22, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Do like the creative side of the mini van party! It looks like fun. Maybe we could do pin the nose on the person who stands outside with their face pressed to the glass. lol. Great mini party idea.

Christine@TheAums November 22, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Lisa, you can expect an invite next year, lol!

MJ from iNeedaPlaydate November 22, 2011 at 5:03 pm

How did you come up with the mini van party?!?! So, love the cake!

Christine@TheAums November 22, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Let’s see…I stopped at the gas station on the way to soccer practice and purchased 6 cupcakes. I figured we’d eat them at the park after practice but forgot that it would be dark and cold, so we moved the party into the van. I totally redeemed myself with that cake!

Runnermom-jen November 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Haha! I think this idea should totally be on Pinterest!
Love the shark cake…you did an excellent job on it :)

Christine@TheAums November 22, 2011 at 9:30 pm

The shark cake was the result of team work…I baked, husband carved, I frosted, husband hammered candy canes to make teeth, and I squirted the blood! The Aumies approved.

Jeanne November 22, 2011 at 9:26 pm

This is a riot! Love it!

Christine@TheAums November 22, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Thanks, Jeanne!

Jessica November 22, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I would love a minivan party as long as I can sit in the very back.

I’m impressed with your cake decorating.

Christine@TheAums November 23, 2011 at 1:22 am

Gotta warn you…the back is where all the action was. I declared the driver and passenger seats a kid-free zone. The cake decorating was such a group effort…I even had the twitterverse weigh in!

Stasha November 23, 2011 at 12:48 am

You can throw me a party anytime! This looks like fun!!
My poor boy is celebrating next week. Nobody is ever around to come to his party because of Thanksgiving. And to top it off, Daddy is going away too. Might have to drive down to see ya’ll :)

Christine@TheAums November 23, 2011 at 1:25 am

The Aumies are available to send Little J some skype birthday love…wait, did I just invent another party theme not seen on pinterest?

Claudia November 23, 2011 at 9:28 am

So cute Christine! Great job and love the Shark cake! Too Cute!

XO Claudia

Christine@TheAums November 23, 2011 at 10:47 am

Thanks, Claudia! I’m all done til May but you’re just getting started. You are way more on top of it than I am…can’t wait til the hat party!

Angel Geden June 12, 2012 at 11:40 am

Simply put…this rocks.
Angel Geden recently posted..What do you do when you’ve become uncomfortable with the comfortableMy Profile

Danielle November 16, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I love it…what a great story! What a way to create a memory…you have to do a scrapbook page. How did you get the idea of a minivan party anyway? And the cake is cute too.

-Danielle
Twitter: @DanielleASB

Christine@TheAums November 16, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Thanks! The minivan party, well…it wasn’t a planned event. It sort of just happened and seemed festive enough to call it a party and think I could get away with it, but noooooo. It did make for a fun memory, though :)