Talk About A Push Present!

by Christine@TheAums on January 19, 2012 · 21 comments

If you’ve been following my Birth Story Reflections this week, you know that giving birth the second time around was the most amazing, cathartic experience of my life. Here’s how it got even sweeter:

My second born was a late-November baby, so by the time we arrived home from the hospital and settled into our smaller-than-I-remember house with my older-than-I-remember firstborn, the day had grown dim.

I nestled deep into my rocking chair to nurse and stare out the window. The sky turned darker by the minute but I was glowing, still high from giving birth…on top of the world for having the kind of birth I needed to heal my disappointment from the first time around. Literally, I was on cloud nine…NOTHING could top this!

And then, my cell phone rang.

“Hello…”

“Hello, may I please speak with Christine?”

“This is her.” (I know I’m supposed to say, “This is SHE,” but I absolutely never remember.)

“Hi Christine. I’m calling from American Baby Magazine to let you know that you are the winner of our photo contest AND A BRAND NEW CAR!”

There was complete silence on my end. I was holding my breath AND my newborn.

Trying to break the silence, she continued, “I know, this must be exciting news!”

“You don’t understand,” I said, gulping in a breath of air. “I just got home from the hospital TODAY. I’m holding my newborn in my arms at this very moment…and now I’ve just won a car?”

“Congratulations! We were wondering if you’d had the baby, actually we were hoping so.”

My mind went back about 3 months earlier, to the day I came across the contest announcement in American Baby, the magazine I flipped through at all my prenatal appointments. Mazda and American Baby had teamed up to find the next Mazda 5 Family and I entered us on a whim, a very last minute oh-crap-the-deadline-is-tomorrow-and-the-sun-will-set-in-a-couple-hours whim.

In the photo I was about 7 months pregnant and it was the last photo taken of us as a family of 3.

“We’ll be sending you some paperwork in the mail and a camera crew will come out in 2 weeks to take your picture for the new ad. Sound good?”

By this point, my husband had entered the room, wondering what was going on. I mouthed the words WE-WON-A-CAR to him a couple times before he understood, and in a still shaky voice I thanked the woman on the other end profusely before hanging up.

I danced around the house for hours that night, oh-em-geeing, and cradling my newborn. I guess you could say I was on cloud ten!

Be sure to check out the rest of my Birth Story Reflections series:

Mom’s Survival Kit- Don’t Attend A Baby Shower Without One!

Top 10 Reasons Why I Prefer To Give Birth In A Hospital

When The Physical and Spiritual Worlds Collide

Jessica January 19, 2012 at 5:33 pm

That’s really awesome! I wish something like that would happen to me! The closest I’ve come to thinking that I was “winning” something big was when I was selected as a nominee from a raffle I entered for a “dream vacation.” It turned out to be a presentation on a dream vacation that required me to buy some knives to be entered for a chance to take that vacation. *sigh.

Christine@TheAums January 19, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Wow, that one stinks, Jessica. Boo!

Brandi January 20, 2012 at 7:18 am

Yay!!! I know this was a long time ago, but I am so happy for y’all!!!! YAY!!!! (is it weird that I am really, super excited? LOL!!!)

Christine@TheAums January 20, 2012 at 3:37 pm

You crack me up Brandi. If you’re excited now, imagine my excitement that day! The funny thing is, before kids, Aj and I were always filling out those win a car forms at the malls…so this turn of events was unbelievable!

MJ from iNeedaPlaydate January 20, 2012 at 7:38 am

That’s it – you really are the coolest mom on the block! ;)

Christine@TheAums January 20, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Oh, stop…I’m blushing over here!

ashlea@mamasdance January 21, 2012 at 9:06 pm

okay that IS sweet. Love the photos of your little fam :-)

Christine@TheAums January 23, 2012 at 7:34 am

Thank you. It’s always wild for me to see family pictures with just 1 or 2 kids. It feels like we’ve always been a family of 6.

Jeanne January 22, 2012 at 6:10 am

I love this! I always wondered how you won the car- so glad you got to tell the story! I am loving this series of posts this week, Christine!

Christine@TheAums January 23, 2012 at 7:30 am

Thanks, I enjoyed writing a themed series. I hope to do more in the near future, after a little #unmeme break ;)

Liz @ The Six Year Itch January 23, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Holy smokes! A car! That’s it, I really really to come to California just so I can rub you for good luck. You guys are simply amazing. One-of-a-kind; obviously.

Christine@TheAums January 24, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Thanks, Liz. It was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I’ll save how winning big prizes affects your taxes for another post, haha!

Runnermom-jen January 25, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Oh my goodness!!! That is SOOOO cool!! I can see why you won, that picture is gorgeous :)

Christine@TheAums January 25, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Ah, thanks Jen, my brother-in-law gets all the credit for taking that picture. But to tell you the truth, American Baby told me they were completely won over by my 1 year old son in a wetsuit.

Sharon January 26, 2012 at 5:08 am

I have loved reading all of your birth memories stories! But this one has to be one of the most unique stories ever! Now is this the same car where you hosted your birthday party this year? :)

Christine@TheAums January 26, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Glad you enjoyed my series, Sharon…I was inspired by your daily posting to kick my blog into high gear…for a week! Sadly, we sold our winning car to help pay the taxes we incurred from winning it (don’t worry, we profited too.) Plus, we quickly became a family of 6 and needed a bigger van- I’m sure you can relate!

Tracey @ Don't Mess with Mama February 5, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Wow! What an amazing story. And what incredible timing! I’m renting a van in Kauai now and I think I really need to get one. So much roomier with my 3 boys.

BTW, your kids look hapa. Want to join my hapa mamas club? http://dontmesswithmama.com/hapa-mamas-club/

Christine@TheAums February 6, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Tracey, I saw your Hapa mamas club the other day and have been meaning to ask…Yes! Are there membership benefits like trips to Kauai?

Lanae April 2, 2013 at 11:23 am

OH EM GEE – you really do have all the luck. Thanks for sharing that cool post! Hope the housing situation improves pronto!