You Are Not Alone…But You Should Be!

by Christine@TheAums on February 20, 2012 · 27 comments

My ‘Under Pressure’ post last week was a bit of a downer, but I think I figured out what’s been going on with me lately.

I couldn’t find it in any medical books, but it’s a certified, bona fide health condition that affects mostly women, specifically those that have children.

Turns out I’ve been suffering from what’s known as Four-Babies-Back-To-Back Syndrome.

And by back-to-back I mean, “Hi hospital, I’m baaaaack! No, not for a well-baby check up…to give birth to a whole nuther baby…again!”

It actually can affect moms of any number of children, but beyond seven it’s simply known as Octo-Duggar-Cray-zay Syndrome.

Symptoms include but are not limited to:

• Lack of sleep (or the rare deep sleep interrupted by the kids)
  • Lack of date nights (or date nights spent talking about the kids)
  • A strong desire to make sure everyone is happy, clean, and well-fed before yourself
  • Stretch marks and wearing tankinis, or avoiding large bodies of water altogether
  • Lack of regular showers and abundance of dry-hair shampoo
  • Mountains of dirty and clean laundry piles
  • Doing absolutely nothing without guilt, stress, and pressure to make it look easy
  • All of the above coupled with the urge to consume chocolate and wine daily

If you, too, are suffering, there’s help.

First, repeat this mantra daily: Hmmmm, let me look on the calendar and schedule some ME time.

(Bet you thought I was gonna say Aummmm…)

If regularly scheduled ME time is just not an option, you may require an aggressive treatment plan that involves a Hawaiian vacation…without the kids.

Either way, know that you are not alone.

But you should be way more often in order to ease some of the above symptoms.

Well, the stretch marks and laundry are probably here to stay, while the jury’s still out on the chocolate/wine consumption even being a problem.

Other than that, you’ll be well on your way to a healthier you!

Stephanie February 20, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Hilarious and as usual you are a mind reader, even though I am pretty sure I’ve lost my mind by now.

Christine@TheAums February 21, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Thanks Stephanie!

Brandi February 20, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Crazy how I just tweeted that I need a retreat. Hey, you know what? “Me Time” for everyone! (As soon as I figure out how to make that happen)

Christine@TheAums February 21, 2012 at 11:47 pm

A retreat is definitely in order…if we met up we could still call it an iVoices/work thing, right?

Stasha February 20, 2012 at 10:13 pm

By US you meant you and I right? I am driving down!!

Christine@TheAums February 21, 2012 at 11:45 pm

I wonder…if I drive up where we’d end up meeting? Wouldn’t matter so long as chocolate and wine available, right? Now that I think about it though, you should be offering some ME time excursions on your island!

Tracey @ Don't Mess with Mama February 21, 2012 at 1:15 am

I’m on a Hawaiian vacation with kids, and I’m looking forward to the boys going back to school. I’ve been so busy with them that I haven’t had any “me time” at all. I think every mom should make it a priority.

Christine@TheAums February 21, 2012 at 11:42 pm

A vacation with kids is never a vacation for mom, is it?

Jessica February 21, 2012 at 3:39 am

This is HILARIOUS, Christine! I only have two, so my hat goes off to you with four! You deserve a vacation and wine and chocolate!

Christine@TheAums February 21, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Thank you and may I quote you on that? You know, to my husband and anyone else that will listen ;)

MJ from iNeedaPlaydate February 21, 2012 at 7:49 am

Could you define “me time” because I really am at a loss what this thing is that you speak of… ;)

Christine@TheAums February 21, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Ha! Well it’s best explained in person Mary.

Jeanne February 21, 2012 at 11:40 am

I only have ONE and I already need me time! I made the mistake of letting the laundry go for a week— now I’m paying the price! I’m thinking once I can pump enough to keep this baby sustained for 3 days without me, I need some sort of weekend away! I hear CA is pretty in the fall- haha

Christine@TheAums February 21, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Now you have my wheels turning to invent some kind of all-inclusive ME time excursion to Santa Cruz…forget the blog conferences!

Sharon February 22, 2012 at 6:04 pm

TOTALLY sign me up for the ME time vaca in Santa Cruz. As long as wine and chocolate is involved of course! Sometimes I am just so stinkin’ worn OUT!

Christine@TheAums February 24, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Oh Sharon, if anyone deserves time off, it’s YOU! Plus, you would LOVE Santa Cruz!

Janice February 27, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Thank you. I always wondered if I was weird or normal. Now I can say, “it’s a condition!” I definitely have these same syptoms/problems. And the dirty AND clean laundry is a huge one. Have had that symptom since Baby #1. I don’t think it will ever go away. And replace the wine with coffee. That’s me in a nutshell!

Christine@TheAums February 28, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Oh, it’s a real condition alright…and you are in good company, believe me!

Cookie's Mom February 29, 2012 at 8:23 pm

So true. I LOVE my ME time. And the last time hubby and I went out for dinner the first topic that came up (not instigated by me, you should know) was our son’s poop situation. I mean, COME ON!

Cookie's Mom February 29, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Also… thanks for linking up with Best of the Blogosphere this month!! :)

Jill March 1, 2012 at 1:07 pm

That was great. All those crazy days are over now that they go to school all day. Well, atleast till summer starts.
Jill

PS Found you through Cookie’s mom the blog

Christine@TheAums March 2, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I guess with homeschooling, it’s crazy 365 days a year. Thanks for stopping by!

Jill March 2, 2012 at 4:45 pm

You are absolutely right. Hats off to you. I wouldn’t know the first thing about home schooling.

Deb the Closet Monster March 3, 2012 at 6:32 am

I’ve only had one child (so far), but I’ve still found myself wanting some alone time recently something fierce. I ditched Facebook for a few days to get something closer to quiet, but I’m holding strong for a three-day weekend coming up. :)

Also here through Cookie!

Christine@TheAums March 4, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I hope you were able to satisfy your alone time craving this weekend! And I hope you have planned some for the very near future!

RoryBore March 4, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I knew it wasn’t just going crazy — that there was some bona-fide medical, or pyshco…something or other cause!
thanks for validating my alone time with chocolate and wine! LOL

Christine@TheAums March 4, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Any time! Glad I could help!