Stream of Consciousness Sunday- Pregnancy Cravings

by Christine@TheAums on March 18, 2012 · 31 comments

#SOCsunday

Mary from I Need a Playdate recently left a comment about craving pie during pregnancy even though she doesn’t normally like pie.

So for the next 5 minutes I shall remember my pregnancy cravings. Why 5 minutes? Why it’s Fadra’s Stream of Consciousness Sunday!

During each of my 4 pregnancies, I had the same cravings. First, I craved meat. Red meat cooked medium well. This was actually a sign of pregnancy given that I normally eat a vegetarian diet. Second, I craved peach yogurt. Stonyfield organic peach yogurt to be exact. Absolutely no other brand or flavor would do, so my husband would buy flats of it at a time.

During my last pregnancy, in addition to meat and yogurt, I craved ice. Cups and cups of ice. I turned into this ice connoisseur as I would sample it everywhere we went and compare taste, texture, size, and shape. Restaurants, movie theaters, friends’ homes…7-11! I found that the only ice I truly loved was at the Santa Cruz Diner so it’s a good thing they’re open 24-7.

At first, my husband would go in and ask for a large cup of ice almost daily, but as time went on, he started bringing in our biggest  bowl to be filled and stored in our freezer. They never charged him and I know they  only asked when the baby was due a couple of times, perhaps hinting that this couldn’t go on forever. Of course, my craving went away after the baby came.  I always meant to write a thank you note to the restaurant manager for generously accommodating a pregnant woman’s cravings, however strange.

Ironically, stuff that I loved when not pregnant were complete turn-offs once I was. For example, every morning for the past 6.5 years I’ve drank the same shake for breakfast consisting of grape juice, orange, lemon, ginger, cayenne pepper, blueberries, strawberries, and flax seeds. During pregnancy I wanted nothing to do with it. Instead I wanted buttered sourdough toast with hardboiled eggs, hash browns and veggie sausage piled on top. Or, my other favorite, waffles topped with cottage cheese, bananas, and maple syrup. Once, I packed my waffles to go because I had to attend a super early work meeting. After eyeing my waffles, my co-worker exclaimed, “Now that’s a pregnant woman’s breakfast!” And this was before I had made my announcement that I was with child…again!

So, my five minutes is up…tell me, what did you crave during pregnancy?

Jeanne March 18, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Cherry Coke! Both times around! I don’t know what’s up with that as I don’t really drink it ever when I’m not pregnant!

Christine@TheAums March 18, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Curious, has Red every tasted Cherry Coke, and if so, did she like it?

Jeanne March 18, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I haven’t really done soda at all with her yet… Now I wonder… although, trust me, this kid does not need any more energy from caffeine!

Christine@TheAums March 18, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Jeanne, you should do some crafty craft with a cherry coke can/bottle to commemorate your craving :)

a.eye March 18, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Haven’t been pregnant, but your breakfast shake sounds tasty!!

Christine@TheAums March 18, 2012 at 6:24 pm

It really is, just not when I’m pregnant I guess. I still drink it daily.

Shawna Rae Dunn March 18, 2012 at 6:27 pm

What I craved durring my pregnancy was fish, fresh/raw veggies and fruits, and rare steak salads. My son who is now 3 LOVES all these things!

Christine@TheAums March 18, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Sounds healthy! No pickles and ice cream?

Runnermom-jen March 18, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Oh my goodness…I really thought you were going to tell us you were pregnant!!!
I craved weird stuff. Pasta with cottage cheese on top, chocolate ice cream (every night), spaghetti for breakfast. I could go on and on. Needless to say, I gained almost 50 pounds with each pregnancy.

Christine@TheAums March 18, 2012 at 7:43 pm

omg, Jen, just now realized how you could’ve interpreted that, LOL! I’m in the gained almost 50 club too…how much did your babies weigh I wonder…from oldest to youngest mine were 8.4, 8.6, 9.2 (ouch), and 7.15.

Monika March 18, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Sushi! Every time. Always what I can’t have is what I wanted.

Christine@TheAums March 18, 2012 at 7:50 pm

That’s so true! I suppose I forgot to mention alcoholic beverages.

Shawna Rae Dunn March 18, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Nope! But the last month all I wanted was peanutbuttet and jelly sandwiches! Day or night it didn’t matter. I forgot about that!

Nicole March 19, 2012 at 7:10 am

Watermelon!

Christine@TheAums March 19, 2012 at 11:34 am

Yum! That’s a healthy craving. Do you like it when not pregnant as well?

Nicole March 19, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Love it anyway, but I could eat a whole one in one sitting and still send Brian out for more when I was pregnant.

Amber March 19, 2012 at 9:02 am

For my first child it was steak and lobster. :) Then my two youngest it was ice.

Christine@TheAums March 19, 2012 at 11:35 am

You craved ice too!! Ok, what genders are your two youngest?

Jessica March 19, 2012 at 11:26 am

Hmm. With my first pregnancy, I didn’t have any specific cravings per se, just crap. Lots and lots of unhealthy, greasy crap. With my second pregnancy, I did get into the whole ice thing just because it was so hot out when I hit my third trimester. I also liked a lot of smoothies, oh, and peanut butter. Lots and lots of peanut butter.

Amber March 19, 2012 at 12:10 pm

My two youngest are girls. I found out I was pregnant with the youngest when my middle was barely five months.

Christine@TheAums March 19, 2012 at 1:05 pm

So there might be a girl/ice connection…interesting. Your youngest are like my oldest, I found out when my first was 6 months!

MJ from iNeedaPlaydate March 20, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Love it! I finally hit publish on the post I wrote after reading yours… I craved different things with both kids but what was the worse was my aversion to coffee! I love coffee and had the worse withdrawals – now she sneaks sips of mine :)

Christine@TheAums March 21, 2012 at 12:02 am

Wow, she likes coffee?! You must make it nice and sweet like my husband does. It’s so strange how you can absolutely hate what you love when not pregnant. So glad I did not start loving/needing coffee until recently cuz I could never imagine having to refrain from it. Gonna visit your laundromat now!

MJ from iNeedaPlaydate March 21, 2012 at 10:07 am

Nope – both kids will drink it black, just like mama lol. I started drinking iced coffee at home so they would not get burned :) Thanks for the shout out!

Christine@TheAums March 22, 2012 at 1:36 am

Same to you!

liz @ The Six Year Itch March 20, 2012 at 7:52 pm

The Santa Cruz dinner looks awesome! Diners around here do not have chopsticks. I’ll tell you that much.

I craved nachos and root beer. If I really want to scare Slasher, all I have to do is say nachos. Too bad he’s sick right now, otherwise I would definitely call and ask him to bring me some.

Christine@TheAums March 21, 2012 at 7:43 am

Oh my god, Liz, the stories I can tell you about Santa Cruz Diner, most of which occur after last call at the bar and way before I had kids. Gotta love 24 hour joints. I crave nachos on a daily basis but I only really indulge at the movie theater.

Stasha March 21, 2012 at 9:17 am

My cravings when I was pregnant with my daughter went like this:

Fresh fruit.

Crunchy Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. But it HAD to be crunchy peanut butter.

Chocolate frosty’s from Wendy’s. Which I absolutely hated until I was pregnant. Did not like them and could not stand them. But the last six months of my pregnancy? I had to have one every day. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

And the one thing I loved but couldn’t stand? Pizza. It made me nauseous to smell it. And trying to eat it only led to me getting sick so I steered clear of it as best as I could.

Christine@TheAums March 21, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I love it…had to be crunch peanut butter, or else! I remember stuff like that too. Like if my husband brought home any other kind of peach yogurt because there was a deal at the store…they’d just sit there in the fridge until he ate them. Pizza would be a hard one to steer clear of for 9 months. Thanks for sharing!

Fadra March 24, 2012 at 7:52 pm

The only specific craving I remember was for fruit, and lots of it. But like you, things I normally loved, I could no longer tolerate. I drink a cup of black tea every morning and the thought nauseated me, as did chicken. Both the smell and texture of chicken made me sick!

Christine@TheAums March 27, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Fruit sounds like a wonderful, healthy craving…lucky you!