How Two Loose Teeth Turned Into Fifty-one Dollars

by Christine@TheAums on April 4, 2012 · 23 comments

My oldest lost his fifth tooth today and is now fast asleep, tooth tucked carefully under his pillow, awaiting the tooth fairies. You know there’s more than one, right? This is actually news to me, too.

When I was little I only knew of one tooth fairy and she wasn’t particularly special or anything. She was pretty run-of-the-mill, took my teeth and left me 25, sometimes 50 cents. I know she didn’t leave me more than that because my mom has a letter that I wrote the fairy asking for a whole dollar, reasoning that the latest tooth to fall out was much bigger than the others. I didn’t ever get a response to that letter which is probably why I’m in therapy what led to how our tooth fairy handles transactions these days.

Today’s tooth fairy not only leaves money, she writes a personal letter as well, and is pretty funny, if I do say so myself. She’s also got a whole network of fairies working round the clock and round the globe apparently.

Case in point:

When you lose your first tooth in our house, the tooth fairy gives you two dollars. She also adds 3 more dollars to share with your three siblings. So yeah, that’s five dollars for the first tooth and a trip to the dollar store for all. Any subsequent teeth get one dollar, in case you were wondering.

It just so happened that my 6 y.o. recently lost both his first and second teeth on the very same day! Wow is right! Seems the tooth fairy was extra impressed with having to pick up two teeth in one night because she left him twenty-five bucks. I know…bear with me here. All first teeth get five dollars, remember? And the twenty? Well, she states clearly in her letter that the twenty is so that he can treat his family to Yogurtland, the new self-serve yogurt joint that all my mom friends are raving about and I’ve been dying to try, so why not give him a chance to learn the joy of sharing your wealth with others…always looking for an excuse to eat froyo teachable moments ’round here, let me tell ya.

Well, a couple days later, a letter arrives for him in the mail. Turns out, the tooth fairy that happens to live near the grandparents left him twenty dollars and a letter. So, we’re at forty-five dollars if you’re keeping track. Also in the mail is a package from the tooth fairy that lives near the other grandparents. In it, some hot wheels and a handwritten letter written on homemade paper, I kid you not. And I thought our local tooth fairy was pretty cool but this tooth fairy talks like Yoda:

“Worry not of the missing teeth…grow back they will. Challenging it will be to eat corn on the cob.”

I thought that was the end of it, but then this other grandparent tooth fairy caught wind of the twenty dollars and decided to empty his pockets of six dollars to add to the pot.

And that, my friends, is how two loose teeth turned into fifty-one dollars.

Tell me, is this strange tooth fairy phenomenon happening at your house?

Trish April 4, 2012 at 10:14 am

omg! this is hilarious. Can you imagine what the tooth fairy(ies) will be doling out when our kids have kids?!

Christine@TheAums April 4, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Oh man, Trish, and you should see what the great-grandparents leprechauns sent the kids for St. Patty’s. We’re gonna have some big shoes to fill!

Stasha April 4, 2012 at 10:51 am

I had my first crown earlier this year. After insurance I forked another $$$. Please forward this to tooth fairy. Your truly xo

Christine@TheAums April 4, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I’m pretty sure the tooth fairies read my blog and will take note :)

Amber April 4, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Love this. The tooth fairy has only ever come to our house once. My son never believed it and then he broke it to his younger sister. Now my baby girl has her first loose tooth and I’ve been talking about the tooth fairy and tell her older siblings to keep their mouths shut. :) I love hearing about all the different things people do where the tooth fairy is concerned. I’m just glad Duane Johnson don’t come into our rooms. ;)

Christine@TheAums April 4, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Lol, Amber, I haven’t seen that movie, but yeah…I’m thankful too. Maybe if the tooth fairy leaves a little something for your older kids they’ll cooperate?

brotio April 4, 2012 at 1:08 pm

And this tooth fairy network you speak of….visit do they when 900 years old you turn?

sashalyn April 4, 2012 at 2:48 pm

You already know I loved this post- but I wanna try out the comment love!

Christine@TheAums April 4, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Thanks for trying Sashalyn! I think CommentLuv works if you have a blog for it to link to…please send me your URL if you do.

Angus April 4, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Okay, that made me laugh. And thank my lucky stars that I will be childless for this lifetime.

Christine@TheAums April 4, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Angus, it is so awesome to have some local Santa Cruz peeps stop by for a visit :)

liz @ The Six Year Itch April 4, 2012 at 6:58 pm

The tooth fairy, in my house, sometimes double books herself. This happened last month. So, Kid had to put her tooth under the pillow two nights in a row. I’m pretty sure she left a fiver. Which isn’t $51 or a letter from Yoda, but I would be willing to pull out my own tooth for those two.
liz @ The Six Year Itch recently posted..When Everything Comes TogetherMy Profile

Christine@TheAums April 4, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Excited am I working commentluv is!

Runnermom-jen April 5, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Haha!! Those teeth are like gold!!
That is really awesome, though. So did he treat you all to the frozen yogurt place?
Runnermom-jen recently posted..The CakeMy Profile

Christine@TheAums April 5, 2012 at 5:30 pm

He did, and I loved watching him pay at the register. The yogurt was great, but with a name like Yogurt Land they were expecting rides and stuff. They left saying it should’ve been called “The Yogurt Place” or “Just Yogurt.”

Jessica April 5, 2012 at 6:36 pm

That’s hilarious! $50?!? That’s awesome! My parents didn’t give that great of gifts when we lost our teeth. Usually we’d get a dollar, or, sometimes, less. :(
Jessica recently posted..52|13: 5 MonthsMy Profile

Christine@TheAums April 12, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Yeah, less than a dollar was the norm around here too and my grandparents never got in on the act.

joonluv630 April 7, 2012 at 6:54 pm

This was hilarious! HA! I “liked” it on facebook to share the cuteness!

Christine@TheAums April 12, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Thank you so much for sharing! Glad it made you laugh :)

Jessica April 8, 2012 at 7:57 pm

If I visit your house and lose some teeth can I get a visit from the tooth fairy?
Jessica recently posted..Spring Break, Family Time, and Martinis FTWMy Profile

Christine@TheAums April 12, 2012 at 10:59 pm

You can try, but no guarantees. Maybe if you sew up a little tooth pillow that would help your chances.

Lanae (@Hungrigyrl) April 12, 2012 at 5:21 am

Way too cute. I love your tooth fairy! My oldest is on the verge of losing his first tooth. I’ll have to remember your tooth fairy’s special ideas. I laugh at the grandparents upping the ante. They seem to do that around our house as well. :)
Lanae (@Hungrigyrl) recently posted..Cardio Crack: Cage The ElephantMy Profile

Christine@TheAums April 12, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Gotta love and be thankful for the grandparents getting in on the act!