How To Get Kids To Help With Laundry…Seriously.

by Christine@TheAums on April 16, 2012 · 15 comments

It’s a fact. If you have kids, you have more laundry than you ever dreamed possible. Not that I ever dreamed of laundry B.C. (Before Children). And because laundry is never going away, and kids have a good 18 years under your roof, you might as well get them started early with helping out.

Yes, kids can help put their clothes away and here’s the proof:

On a regular, non-vlogging basis, I am not as involved with helping them do this task. Because of the labels on their drawers, even my youngest can take her pile from the laundry room and put them in the correct drawer.

If you’d like more details on our closet organization system, read Creating a Clothing Station For Your Children.

Stay tuned for my next vlog: Towels…letting the kids fold them (sort of) and put them away (sort of).

Would you like a video tour of my house BEFORE cleaning? Sadly, there are no AFTER cleaning videos. And don’t miss my video tour of our messy minivan, it will help you feel loads better about yours.

Angus April 17, 2012 at 8:16 am

LOL. Awesome. Love the captions.
Angus recently posted..The 10 weirdest meals I’ve ever had.My Profile

Christine@TheAums April 17, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Thanks, Angus!
Christine@TheAums recently posted..How To Get Kids To Help With Laundry…Seriously.My Profile

Amber April 17, 2012 at 8:57 am

I’ve been having my son help with laundry since he was 5. Now that he is just a a month and a half shy from 10 he can do his own laundry. Though I don’t make him do it often. Just when I’m in the hospital or on bed rest that I ask him to help out with it. Now my girls HATE everything that has to do with laundry.

Christine@TheAums April 17, 2012 at 1:36 pm

That’s awesome that he has the skills to help out when you need it. Hopefully it rubs off on your girls! I really want to teach my oldest to use the washing machine soon.

Runnermom-jen April 17, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Yes!! Having the kids help with laundry is HUGE!!! I love all of your busy little bees. Great idea with the labels on the drawers, and I laughed at your ‘naked potty training baby’ :)
Runnermom-jen recently posted..Scavenger Hunt SundayMy Profile

Christine@TheAums April 17, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Now she’s just ‘naked’ baby :) By the way, I’m about to go for a run!

Stasha April 18, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Love the potty training intermezzo !! Good on you mommy, I want to be your neighbor so much!
Stasha recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

Christine@TheAums April 18, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Your island is one of the few places I would consider moving and being neighbors would be icing on the cake.

Jessica April 19, 2012 at 10:29 am

This is an awesome post. Nya kind of helps me with the laundry. She doesn’t always put things where they belong, but she enjoys it and I enjoy watching her enjoy it. :)
Jessica recently posted..Facebook Friends is Syndicated on BlogHerMy Profile

Christine@TheAums April 19, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Thanks, Jessica! When it comes to laundry, every little bit helps.

Janice April 19, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Okay, this is awesome. Just in time too because I have a HUGE pile of clothes in my “Study” room. Yep, I’m totally thinking of converting it to my laundry room – it’s that full of clothes. We end up digging through it for like 10 minutes just to find underwear. My husband hates looking for work clothes, so he just usually tells me to get it. And did I mention everything’s all wrinkly?

I love the labels in those drawers. That’s it. I’m doing that! Maybe not this weekend (cuz we’ll be out) but definitely by the end of next week!
Janice recently posted..Go To Sleep Or Else!My Profile

Christine@TheAums April 19, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Yay! I hope you do because it works. Please post an instagram of the results!

Christine@TheAums April 29, 2012 at 10:44 am