School Portaits Homeschool Style

by Christine@TheAums on May 12, 2012 · 18 comments

As a homeschooling mom, there are a few things I will never experience.

rushing out the door every morning, homework struggles, PTA Meetings

Like the first day of kindergarten, packing daily lunches, or back-to-school shopping.

One ritual I don’t want to miss out on is “school” portraits. I think every kid deserves to have their loose teeth, crooked bangs, braces, and acne preserved throughout the years. So, I’m making it a point to take annual, professional-looking (we hung a white sheet) portraits that we can give to relatives. I was even thinking it would be fun to order wallet-sized prints for my kids to sign with their name and age on the back. Do you remember doing that as a kid?

And let’s not forget the annual class picture.

As you can see, I have four class clowns to deal with.

Amber May 13, 2012 at 11:32 am

Love the class photo. :)

Christine@TheAums May 13, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Thanks, Amber. Glad my site’s working for you!

Nicole May 13, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Best class photo ever!

Christine@TheAums May 13, 2012 at 4:17 pm

We gave poster-sized prints of it to the grandmas for Mother’s Day.

Jamie May 14, 2012 at 9:31 am

I think you came up with the perfect solution.
Jamie recently posted..Wielding a heavy hammer and nine other things I learned from Mom.My Profile

Christine@TheAums May 14, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Thank you!

Jessica May 14, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Oh, I love this! Love this! I think class portraits are kind of cheesy, but they do memorialize so much. You’re kids are absolutely adorable. :-) Happy belated Mother’s Day to you!

Christine@TheAums May 14, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Same to you, mama!

Tracey @ Don't Mess with Mama May 14, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Christine, I love it! What a great idea. Keep doing it every year so they can see their class photos over time. I loved my then 6 year old’s smile with his front tooth missing. Your kids are adorable!
Tracey @ Don’t Mess with Mama recently posted..Kale Fried RiceMy Profile

Christine@TheAums May 14, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Thanks, Tracey! Hapa babies can’t help but be adorable ;)

Sharon at Momof6 May 16, 2012 at 6:23 am

I’m not a homeschooling Mom… but I totally believe in the DIY school photo approach! One of those school photo packages cost nearly $40! And when you consider that it takes me dozens (if not hundreds!) of shots before I capture one that is print-worthy of my kids, it annoys me to no end that a school photographer takes one shot, and you have to pre-buy the package before you even know whether or not it sucks!
We’ve been taking our own photos at home for several years now…. and I would never do it any other way!

Christine@TheAums May 16, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Look at you, Sharon…you amaze me and I should’ve known! Makes complete sense.

Runnermom-jen May 18, 2012 at 11:41 am

Your pictures turned out great!!! I love the last one. Definitely need to frame it :)
Runnermom-jen recently posted..So Much…My Profile

Christine@TheAums May 19, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Thanks, Jen. Much appreciated coming from you :)

liz @ The Six Year Itch May 24, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I just love the picture of all the Aumies together; their uniqueness. You’re doing such a wonderful job!
liz @ The Six Year Itch recently posted..Where a Facebook Relationship Status Update Turns into Flies on Sh*tMy Profile

Christine@TheAums May 29, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Thanks, Liz…come meet them in person SOON!

John Fisher January 5, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Hi C,

We should have done DIY school photos. I pulled a rookie parenting move. I was so excited about the idea of school photos I ordered the $50 package with photos to share with everyone. The photos SUCKED! Didn’t even look like Neli. Nadine threw them all away. I wish I saved one of them just to remember my mistake and to share with folks that know Neli and could laugh at how bad a photo of him could be.

Next time you do school portraits invite us over, we will put on his collared shirt and brush his hair.

Christine@TheAums January 5, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I think we all do it at least once. Before the girls came along, I paid for professional photos of the boys and they were THEE WORST pictures I’d ever seen of them. They tried to get us to buy all the different sizes, but I just took what was included as “free.” One was a poster size which I wanted to throw away but Aj decided to give to the great-grandparents in Florida…at least it’s far away from us. We will definitely include you on our next back to school photo shoot. And I will have to find one of the smaller prints to show you the HORROR!