PanCAKES: A Birthday Tradition

by Christine@TheAums on June 11, 2012 · 18 comments

If you haven’t heard, The Aums do a lot of celebrating between May 21 and June 20. That’s because I am a Gemini who married a Gemini and gave birth to two Geminis! Plus, my Gemini husband is a twin. Now that’s a lot of pancakes!

Don’t know what I’m talking about?

Well, I can’t remember the exact origin (because I’m a mom with 4 kids), but I’m sure the legend goes that one morning, I woke up after very little sleep (because I’m a mom with 4 kids). Upon realizing that it was so and so’s birthday and I’d planned nothing special, not even a minivan party, a vision appeared…Pancakes! All stacked up and made to look like a birthday cake.

And thus, the birthday panCAKE, one of our favorite family traditions was born. It really is a special way to start the day and no birthday is complete without one. Take a minute to watch one being made from start to finish. You’ll want to see this for my acne mask alone. I totally forgot to wash it off before shooting, so it doesn’t get more real than this.

Does your family have a birthday tradition? Let me know in the comments.

Want to see more homemade videos/vlogs? Check out:

How To Get Your Kids To Help With the Laundry
A Tour of My Messy House
A Tour of My Messy Car

Rachee June 12, 2012 at 7:17 am

Love it!
We usually have pancakes on lazy weekends but I’m digging the birthday panCAKE breakfast.
So, of course, I’m going to steal this idea.
-r
Rachee recently posted..The Perfect FriendMy Profile

Christine@TheAums June 12, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Pancakes and lazy just go together…enjoy!
Christine@TheAums recently posted..PanCAKES: A Birthday TraditionMy Profile

Amber June 12, 2012 at 8:26 am

LOVE IT!!!!

Christine@TheAums June 12, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Easy, peasy…you can do it!
Christine@TheAums recently posted..PanCAKES: A Birthday TraditionMy Profile

Angel Geden June 12, 2012 at 11:33 am

This is awesome! Not only because I love pancakes but because I love breakfast, doing things at home and things that are easy and doable with the kids!

The birthday kids at my house get to pick their dinner…and I grew up getting a carrot cake that my dad baked…still, to this day, my favorite cake in the world…but ONLY if my dad baked it.

xoxox

Christine@TheAums June 12, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Angel, I want to take you to a famous bakery in Santa Cruz that has thee best carrot cake I’ve ever tasted and have you compare. I wonder if it would even come close?
Christine@TheAums recently posted..PanCAKES: A Birthday TraditionMy Profile

Brandi June 13, 2012 at 7:49 am

Our new tradition, just created this year, is homemade cake. Everything from scratch. Ayva insists on it!
Brandi recently posted..Eyes Open – A HaikuMy Profile

Christine@TheAums June 13, 2012 at 9:10 am

Then I hope I get to spend a birthday with you in person in the near future ;)

Jessica June 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I love this– the video, the tradition, your beautiful family singing “Happy Birthday.” Love. I think often it’s easy to get stuck in a rut of birthday traditions that aren’t meaningful to our individual families. That’s where I’ve been. But your PanCakes remind me that we need to make some new traditions in our home that will prove meaningful to my girls in years to come.
Jessica recently posted..The Clicking Series – Photography Tips for BeginnersMy Profile

Christine@TheAums June 15, 2012 at 11:09 pm

We kinda stumbled upon this tradition and it just stuck. I have no doubt that you and your girls will come up with something meaningful.

Runnermom-jen June 15, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I love this! I love how it started as your birthday tradition…I often fly by the seat of my pants too, and it’s a bonus when something turns into a favorite tradition!!
P.S. I didn’t even notice your acne mask in the video…for real.
xo
Runnermom-jen recently posted..Radio SilenceMy Profile

Christine@TheAums June 15, 2012 at 11:12 pm

If the lighting was different, you would’ve seen the thin white layer of the Neutrogena Acne Mask I’ve been wearing to bed to calm my skin down. That and some eye cream is my latest nighttime skin regime. I’d love to hear about some of your family traditions!

Jessica @FoundtheMarbles June 16, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Love it. Pancakes are a big deal in our house too. My husband makes chocolate chip pancakes for the family all the time. I think it’s the only meal that all four of us eat.
Jessica @FoundtheMarbles recently posted..Comment on Three Ways to Make the Most of Pinterest by Leslie HarrisMy Profile

Christine@TheAums June 20, 2012 at 1:55 am

You can’t go wrong with pancakes or chocolate chip anything.

Stasha June 20, 2012 at 12:16 am

LOVE the happiness on his face. I have no idea what you are talking about. You look beautiful in the video.
Stasha recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

Christine@TheAums June 20, 2012 at 1:57 am

I guess acne masks are in the eye of the beholder ;) Thank you, Stasha.

JDaniel4's Mom June 20, 2012 at 11:59 am

I absolutely love your tradition! My guys love pancakes. I may just have to start making them these.
JDaniel4′s Mom recently posted..Memories Captured- Enjoying Summer RainMy Profile

Christine@TheAums June 23, 2012 at 8:17 pm

They will love starting their birthday this way!