My Last Post…Before Blogher

by Christine@TheAums on July 31, 2012 · 9 comments

In less than 24 hours I am flying solo to New York City.

There are so many layers to my trip and all of them are filling my head with a myriad of emotions.

They range from…

Excited: Visiting NYC for the first time and exploring the city that never sleeps (gee, that sounds familiar).
Excited: Finally going to meet the folks at iVillage.com where I’ve been an iVoices correspondent for the past 2 years.
Excited: Attending Blogher ’12, my first blogging conference. Unless you count last year’s Homeher’11.
Excited: Meeting online friends in real life like LIZ from THE SIX YEAR ITCH!
Excited: Wearing new clothes, thanks in part to Eyeona, the goddess of shopping.

To…
Scared shitless: Flying. By myself. Leaving my 4 kids and husband for an unprecedented four nights and five days, and then having to fly back. By myself.

It was almost a year ago that I wrote in Fear and Motherhood,

“The few times I’ve flown since [becoming a mom] have always been together as a family which, oddly enough, is acceptable to me because the thought of all of us dying together is more comforting than having orphaned children and a widower to worry about.”

I also begged for someone to relate to my feelings and make me feel normal. Jeanne at Mom Hearts Pinot came through with “flying” colors when she posted, and I quote,

“I, on the other hand, can’t get on an airplane without drinking 3 bloody mary’s and calling my close loved ones for one last goodbye “just in case this metal deathtrap goes down in a fiery bolt over Pittsburgh.” (…may or may not be a direct quote from a message I left my sister before boarding a plane to San Diego…)”

So, how do I prepare for this? Well, I’ve completely given up on feeling 100% prepared.

I’m just hugging my kids a lot, telling them I love them and will miss them, but I know we’ll be seeing each other on FaceTime and Skype. I also made a little chart for them so they can countdown how many breakfasts, lunches, dinners, naps, and bedtimes til mama comes home…kid time is so different from grown-up time.

Tonight I’m planning on having a special dinner with them, although not too special, like not last meal special because obviously. Then I will kiss them all good night and set my alarm for 5:00 a.m. for my adventure to begin.

Follow me on twitter and Facebook to see if I actually run through Central Park, attend a Broadway show, visit the Empire State Building, or at the very least, eat a bagel.

Mua! (That’s Aum spelled backwards)

***UPDATE: Here’s a recap of my first trip to New York City and Blogher ’12!

Angus July 31, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Love the sign. I am seriously laughing right now.
Angus recently posted..The Devil’s own playlistMy Profile

Jeanne July 31, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Love that sign. That’s how I measure time for Anna- “Johnny’s birthday party is after 3 night-nights”.

Well, I really can’t reccomend the bloody Mary’s enough! Maybe next year I’ll hop on a Plane solo for Blogher 2013! #blogher2013Cancun !! Let’s make it happen!
Jeanne recently posted.."Nice to meet you! So… do you vaccinate?"My Profile

Christine@TheAums August 6, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Brush up on your Spanish, Jeanne, because Cancun, here we come! Maybe we should switch from Bloody Mary’s to Margaritas?

Brandi August 1, 2012 at 10:10 am

You are brave, Christine. And I can’t wait to hug you when we get together.
Brandi recently posted..Snapping Yummy – #SoFabU – Week 4My Profile

Christine@TheAums August 6, 2012 at 5:48 pm

This is a late reply, but now I can say I had the best time with you, Brandi…thanks for everything!

Runnermom-jen August 1, 2012 at 11:24 am

I hope you have a wonderful time!!! I love that sign, you’re such a good mama :)
Runnermom-jen recently posted..You…My Profile

Christine@TheAums August 6, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Thank you, Jen…my husband sent me pictures of the kids marking off boxes.

Tracey Black August 2, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Have a great time! Enjoy yourself because before you know it you’ll be up to your eyeballs in laundry again. I know it’s hard to leave the kids but enjoy the moment. Easier said than done – but right now I’m taking care of 4 kids (3 kids and 1 husband recovering from back surgery) so I’d gladly take on mini-trip. Can’t wait to read about about your adventures.
Tracey Black recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Finally Over the Haircut AnxietyMy Profile

Christine@TheAums August 6, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I better get on writing those adventures, because I did have them…just decompressing from my whole travel and conference experience. Hope your husband is on the mend and that you do get some down time soon!