A Recap: My First Trip to New York City and Blogher ’12

by Christine@TheAums on August 12, 2012 · 18 comments

Re-entry to life in Pacific Standard Time has been difficult this past week.

After 5 days by myself in New York City I thought I’d return refreshed and ready to jump back on the mom wagon. Instead I was kicking myself for poor planning.

Why did I invite three relatives to replace me in my absence rather than stand in for me when I returned jet-lagged and struggling to transition back to my mom routine?!

Oh well, live and learn, right?

Speaking of living…I’M ALIVE!

Upon arriving at JFK:

And back at SFO:

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I saw my kids again since I’ve never left them for this long. To be sure, they were happy to see me, but it wasn’t any different than when I’ve been gone for a few hours. When I asked my three-year-old if she missed me, she responded, “Mmm hmm, and I thought you were dying.” Pretty much same ole same ole around here.

MY NEW YORK CITY BUCKET LIST

The highlights of my trip were more New York City-related rather than Blogher-related. First, when I finally made it to my hotel room, the emotions that had been building the entire day and week came bursting out and I cried and cried. Oh, how I cried! Uncontrollable, sloppy, snotty bawling that pretty much claimed my pillows and side of the bed in the room I was about to share with three other bloggers.

No sooner had I closed my eyes to take a little nap than a little voice forced me up saying, “Go splash water on your face and get out! Go and tackle your NYC bucket list head on!” At 7:30 p.m. I left my hotel room. At 7:50 p.m. I walked up to the box office and bought the cheapest ticket to see Chicago on Broadway. At 7:55 p.m. I ate my first slice of New York pizza. At 8 p.m. the show started and it was fantastic!

After the show, I hopped on one of those bike taxis. Ha! And I thought I was scared of flying. I was off to visit the Empire State Building at about 11 p.m. the same day I arrived.

Well after midnight, I finally met thee person I had most anticipated meeting during my trip. And I captured the moment in all it’s glory:

I woke up the next morning and crossed two more things off my bucket list:

This was followed by my first visit ever to the iVillage headquarters in Chelsea Market. After being part of the iVoices for the past two years this was a momentous occasion for me. Likewise, the staff was very excited to meet us in person and I was immediately recognized with four words, “Breast Milk Ice Cream!”

WHAT I LEARNED AT BLOGHER ’12

What I learned at Blogher had very little to do with the actual conference. I get it now…leading up to the conference, no one talks about the amazing education they’re going to get. They talk about the clothes and shoes they will wear, the private parties they will attend, and the swag they will accumulate. For the price of the ticket, I expected a goldmine of information to inspire and improve my blog, but instead took home a few nuggets. I did, however, very much enjoy the keynote speakers, Martha Stewart, Katie Couric, and Christy Turlington, and was blown away that the brands and bloggers I connected with the most happened to all be from the Bay Area where I live.  I also enjoyed  some one-on-one time with a few friends…a quiet dinner out with Ado from the Momalog meant the world to me! As did one loud dinner with Brandi from Mama Knows It All.

Oh, I did learn to make a fishtail braid and my customized t-shirt was a hit!

For sale on the blog soon!

All in all, it’s safe to say I’ll be attending Homeher ’13 next year.

Rachee August 12, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Oh snap!
You are so right!
Leading up to the conference I heard plenty about swag, shoes, private parties but little on the sessions. I did pick up a few things I’d like to try on my blog but think unless I get a sweeeet deal, I’ll be with you for homeher13.
Rachee recently posted..Gap #ShineOn SaturdaysMy Profile

Christine@TheAums August 12, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Exactly, Rachee…unless my travel/hotel expenses are sponsored I’ll be kicking it in my comfy sweats…oh how I missed my sweats during Blogher! Even though I didn’t mention it in my post, you were one of the highlights of my entire trip and I was honored to share a bed with you!

Brandi August 12, 2012 at 9:12 pm

You were definitely my BlogHer13 highlight. And now, I’m crying. I’m a mess. Next year, no conferences before I make huge life transitions. Anyway, thank you for being Christine in New York. For bringing normalcy and peace and aum. I hope I didn’t suck too much of your energy, but I needed it to make it through. xoxo
Brandi recently posted..Why I Haven’t Posted In a Few Days – The Long VersionMy Profile

Christine@TheAums August 12, 2012 at 10:56 pm

No way, you boosted my energy, Brandi! Proud of you for hanging in there with so much going on. I like the sound of “Christine in New York” but I prefer “Brandi in California!”

Liz @ Six Year Itch August 12, 2012 at 9:21 pm

There it is! That was such a fun night and it was so hot! I’m so happy to have pictures of us without photoshop. BlogHer was a whirlwind and seeing it now, going to a smaller conference like Type A made the difference. Plus, no more Bubbles. Thank, Aum!
Liz @ Six Year Itch recently posted..I Was Vibrator Famous at BlogHer {Giveaway}My Profile

Christine@TheAums August 12, 2012 at 11:04 pm

That was a fun night! Crunchy granola meets Big Gulp…so glad Bubbles is destroyed. Or is he?

Ado August 12, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Okay, um, CHICAGO? And – where the heck was I? I would have loved to go to it with you AND eaten the “slice” of NY pizza! Rats.
Loved our quiet dinner!
Loved this post and I love your personalized t-shirt, too! (-: Next time hire the relatives to come apres the jet lag!!
Ado recently posted..10 Things My Alcoholic Parents Taught MeMy Profile

Christine@TheAums August 13, 2012 at 10:24 am

Ado, I have a feeling if you came in earlier I would’ve had a totally different night…maybe involving Pjs, watching the Olympics, and expensive room service ;)

Ado August 13, 2012 at 11:55 am

Chicago over room service any day! (-:

Runnermom-jen August 13, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Very jealous that you got to run through Central Park. But, not so jealous that you went to a blogging conference. It sounds very nervewracking to me.
I laughed at the Seinfeld remark…so many funny taxi scenes take place in that show!!!
Runnermom-jen recently posted..Feeling Inspired…My Profile

Christine@TheAums August 15, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Jen, I just found out there is an actual Seinfeld tour of NYC…bummed that I missed out on that. I won’t entirely write off blogging conferences until I try a smaller one that I can drive to. Or my travel, hotel, and conference ticket are covered by some fabulous sponsor.

Jessica August 14, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Oh, wow! Your trip sounds amazing! I regret not going this year, but I’m hopeful that next year I will attend! So you should attend, too!! I really want to meet you!
Jessica recently posted..My children teach me to be humbleMy Profile

Christine@TheAums August 15, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I don’t know, Jessica. Maybe I’ll feel differently next year but for now I’m waiting for a smaller, niche conference to come to my neck of the woods. Although the idea of meeting you IRL is enticing!

Greta August 17, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Go you for splashing your face and getting out there! I would have been crying, too. But, I’m afraid, by myself, that I would’ve stayed there. Which is one reason I probably will never attend Blogher. Blissdom, I’m looking forward to.

I L.O.V.E. the video!!!
Greta recently posted..So It Begins.My Profile

Christine@TheAums August 21, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I love that video, too! I just went back and re-read your Blissdom experience and I can see why you are looking forward to it. I would definitely like to give a different conference a try, but I’m waiting for one closer to home.

Lanae @Hungrigyrl August 22, 2012 at 10:44 am

I was stopping by looking for your video and found this recap. Sounds like a fabulous trip! It’s great you were able to cross things off your NYC bucket list. Glad you had fun and made it back safely. :)
Lanae @Hungrigyrl recently posted..Goodbye Summer!My Profile

Christine@TheAums August 22, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Thanks, Lanae! It wasn’t quite a Velodyne party, but I did get some dancing in at Blogher!