Murphy’s Law of Parenting: Fashion Edition

by Christine@TheAums on August 16, 2012 · 22 comments

Some parents, if they find out they’re having a girl, vow to keep all pink, frilly things out of sight only to wind up with a little girl who wants to be a princess and wear sparkly pink dresses. I questioned myself…I mean they question themselves, “How did this happen?”

It’s inevitable…ban toy guns and your kid wants to play war. Cook healthy, organic meals and your kid will always say mac ‘n’ cheese from a box is their favorite.

It’s Murphy’s Law of Parenting, and it’s the only explanation I have for what happened this week at Casa de Aum.

I noticed my boys playing a game where they pull their pants down just enough to show their skivvies, or more often than not, that they’re going commando. Nothing new around here. The only mystery is how much laundry there is in relation to how often my kids run around naked. Anyway, what stood out about this new game is they were walking around calling themselves “cool dudes” and it finally dawned on me that they were sagging their pants!

Now where did they get that from? Especially the “cool dudes” part?

My husband doesn’t wear his pants like that. And I don’t wear clothes with a brand name like “Juicy” plastered across my butt.

But, lo and behold, this same week, my four-year-old daughter asked if she could decorate a pair of white shorts with fabric markers. I watched her scribble a rainbow of colors on the front before I walked away. Later, she proudly showed me that she had written her name in large letters across the back.

Seriously, what’s next? Strange facial piercings?!

You saw the Lego nose ring here first, folks.

Did they read my mind about never letting them out of the house wearing these trends, even when they’re older? Am I going to have to enforce a dress code at our homeschool this year?

Tell me, have you had any Murphy’s Law moments with your children?

Melissa August 16, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I totally had the cooking moment. I was planning out meals and making sure to stay away from boxed stuff and processed things. Until I was cooking the night before Thanksgiving. I had done cornbread stuffing with oysters, raspberry/cranberry/jalapeno sauce, and crab dip all from scratch. I made a box of macaroni and cheese and gave my toddler some. He enthusiastically ate it, saying “Mmmm, Mama!” after every single bite. Sigh. I decided there was no reason to kill myself on the stove after that. So it’s mostly whole foods with some mac and cheese thrown in sometimes. I grew up on it, and I’m alright!

Christine@TheAums August 21, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Same here…grew up on it and throw it in during the week to keep my sanity.

Runnermom-jen August 16, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Haha! Yep, I tried banning toy guns…it has totally backfired. Star Wars and water gun fights and Nerf guns…yeah, they are some of the boys’ favorite toys.
Runnermom-jen recently posted..Good, Better, Best…My Profile

Christine@TheAums August 21, 2012 at 10:55 pm

It’s like Bubba Gump shrimp, only guns: Potato gun, rubber band gun, water gun….

Rachee August 17, 2012 at 4:30 am

The hair thing was my mom Murphy law thing. I’ve always promise d myself I wouldn’t say anything about good or bad hair, make a big deal about the length etc. Lo and behold my kid has been drawing fashion with models having long flowing hair. Sigh!
Rachee recently posted..SuperMe! Bag ReviewMy Profile

Christine@TheAums August 21, 2012 at 10:51 pm

They are always giving us something to sigh about, Rachee.

Elizabeth August 17, 2012 at 8:25 am

Forget dress code. UNIFORMS! Ahaha!
Elizabeth recently posted..Fine. You win. And this is where you all stop following me.My Profile

Christine@TheAums August 21, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Yes, around here we call uniforms pajamas.

Leah August 17, 2012 at 8:38 am

Yes, the mysterious unexplained ratio of full laundry baskets vs nakedness. Will we never find out? And I can relate! Dani is the girliest girl and it is definitely not from me! She hyperventilates over glittery pink shoes and shuns the I cutest natural brown pair that I loved for her. She loves dresses, accessories, purses, even wants to wear lipstick. How does she know what lipstick is? She’s barely two and I don’t wear it! Must be in the genes from Daddy’s side.
Leah recently posted..Fossils (practically) in our back yard!My Profile

Christine@TheAums August 21, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Leah, you remind me of me with the “cutest natural brown pair.” I definitely did a lot of chocolate brown clothing with Ny when she was a baby. I’m sure your husband loves you blaming the lipstick gene on him, lol.

Suki Wessling August 17, 2012 at 8:42 am

We have a [largely] vegetarian household (with occasional forays into fish and fowl). A few years ago we found out that our daughter was anemic and the best way to remedy it was with bivalves (oysters, clams), which she loves, and red meat, which was a treat she only got at her grandparents’ house. Immediately — why is this not surprising? — she “hated” clams and thought red meat was yucky. After a few month of eating battles, we ended up with supplements.
Suki Wessling recently posted..The way we do itMy Profile

Christine@TheAums August 21, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Yup…that is definitely Murphy’s Law in action!

Greta August 17, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Oh, yes. The swords, the guns, the “battles”. I always knew I’d dress my girls in pink, but poor Erv gets to wear pink bibs and sit in his pink hand-me-down car seat and high chair, too. Baha!

“Dress code for homeschool.” HA!
Greta recently posted..So It Begins.My Profile

Christine@TheAums August 21, 2012 at 10:39 pm

So funny. I always loved seeing my first daughter in her brothers’ hand me down undies and to this day she is pretty happy to get their PJ’s too.

Aleta August 18, 2012 at 6:06 am

I shake my head and smile…. then I Gulp…. trying to prepare myself for things like this in the future!
Aleta recently posted..11 week ultrasoundMy Profile

Christine@TheAums August 21, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Aleta, I just had a chance to catch up on your blog and CONGRATULATIONS! I am so happy for you and Greg! Yes, be prepared to take a big breath/gulp often because we all go through crazy stuff as parents.

christine August 20, 2012 at 6:19 am

I refused to swear in front of my kids, so one of my kids used the word “bitch” in a school assignment that I didn’t get to see until after it was graded. Isn’t everything about parenting one giant Murphy’s Law? Scrub the floor, someone will spill an explosion of milk on it. Wash the sheets so those sheets can be peed in that night. Plan a fabulous dinner, then when your husband has to work late and practices get changed due to a storm, you end up whipping out some scrambled eggs and toast instead. We’re doomed from the start, I tell ya.
christine recently posted..On Eco-, Old, Losing, and BoomingMy Profile

Christine@TheAums August 21, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Christine, you should totally write a post…so much good material in your comment and yes, ALL TRUE!

christine August 22, 2012 at 10:43 am
Christine@TheAums August 22, 2012 at 12:19 pm

That’s right! I remember reading, “I was melancholy when the vet killed my bitch” and laughing so loud!

Tracey Black August 20, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I thought I was the only one with boys who loved running around pulling their pants down and showing off (yes, they often go commando). Too funny.

For us, Murphy’s Law comes around when it comes to manners. I remind my kids to belch quietly and be discreet, and of course they burp so loudly I sweat it’s like an earthquake in our house. All. The. Time. It drives me nuts.
Tracey Black recently posted..Meatless Monday: Spicy Quesadilla with Chia SeedsMy Profile

Christine@TheAums August 21, 2012 at 10:59 pm

We should swap commando stories sometime! I know the burps you speak of…are they burping their ABC’s yet?