3 Ways Potty Talk Has Helped My Parenting

by Christine@TheAums on September 13, 2012 · 47 comments

This week, my writing prompt was chosen for Mama Kat’s Pretty Much World Famous Writer’s Workshop.

Mama’s Losin’ It

So naturally, I feel pressured to follow it. The prompt was inspired by a regular feature on my Facebook page, “Soundful Sunday.”

Listen to the sounds in your house for 5 or 10 minutes. Write about what you hear.

Well, it doesn’t matter when I do this listening exercise because guaranteed, any 5 to 10 minute chunk of time in my house is going to include potty talk. Day or night. It’s just a given when you have a 3, 5, 6, 8 and 41 year old male in the house.

Lately, I’ve been wondering a lot about my kids’ never-ending obsession with potty talk. Are my older children influenced by their younger siblings or is it the other way around? If my 8-year-old was a single child, would we be discussing say, modern-day technological advances at the dinner table instead of butts, farts, and poop? Honestly, I think the 3-year-old is really the main culprit.

If I say, “Good night, Lulu,” she says, “Good night, poopoo.” When we wished her a “Happy Birthday,” she wished us back a “Happy poopoo!” And when I ask her how old she is, she immediately responds, “Poopoo-years-old,” without missing a beat.

Even though I expect it, I somehow never see it coming so I bust up laughing which, of course, only adds fuel to the fart jokes around here. Please don’t light a match!

It’s true, nothing gets kids talking, laughing, and having a good time like potty talk. I’ll even go so far as to say learning, cooperating, and sleeping. Yes, you read that correctly. Here are

3 Ways Potty Talk Has Helped My Parenting

1. Learning
If you really want to teach your kids syllables, let them do it with potty talk. I’m convinced that since potty talk isn’t allowed at most schools, kids have to figure out learning in polite ways that just aren’t gonna stick as easily. But, they will always remember that ‘diarrhea’ has 4 syllables while ‘caca’ only has two. That, my friends, is how you turn potty talk into a homeschooling lesson.

2. Cooperating
Getting kids to cooperate and smile in pictures can be challenging, especially when you have four. People are always amazed at how photogenic my kids are and for the first time, I’m going to let you in on my little secret: Let them say “peepee” instead of “cheese.” I swear it works every time, and if it starts to wear thin, get creative. No one will know they shouted, “I love peepee!” or “I’m thirsty for peepee!” when they see those million-dollar smiles on this year’s holiday card.

SAY "PEEPEE!"

3. Sleeping
Have you been woken up by a child who’s having nightmares? I have…multiple times throughout the night. I usually mumble something along the lines of, “It’s only a dream. Think of something that makes you feel happy and go back to sleep.” The other night, my 5-year-old said she couldn’t think of anything, so I resorted to plan B which I made up on the spot . “Ok…I’ll give you three happy thoughts.” Why did I say three? Maybe it was three in the morning, the clock said three, and I couldn’t believe I was up at three?! Turns out I didn’t have a third thing, but I was tired and ready to go back to sleep. “Ready for the third thing? It’s just one word,” I yawned. She nodded her head, sleepy but curious. I whispered into her ear, “Poopoo.”

She started giggling and informed me, “That’s two words, mama.”

“No, baby, that’s two syllables. Please go back to bed and have sweet funny dreams.”

Jamie@SouthMainMuse September 13, 2012 at 2:26 am

We have been through the potty-talk stage. My 8 year old would still be there but his siblings are older and they just don’t care and certainly aren’t shocked anymore. That is a cute idea to chase those scary thoughts away in the middle of the night.
Jamie@SouthMainMuse recently posted..Then Everything Changed.My Profile

Christine@TheAums September 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Mine are all so close in age I think they will always just be the potty talk gang.

Jessica September 13, 2012 at 4:14 am

I am dying over this. This is my life. ALL my kids talk about is poop. I seriously think it’s the secret to raising boys. They can be fighting/crying/whining and all I have to do is say any bathroom related word and they start laughing hysterically.

Christine@TheAums September 15, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Glad to see I’m not the only one who uses potty talk as a distraction ;)

Alishia September 13, 2012 at 5:28 am

Oh my…I am so stealing your idea about pictures!!! I can never get a nice group photo of my four kiddos. One is always frowning, complaining, crying because they “don’t wanna smile” Thank you for any future great group photos and for the laughter that you just inspired in me.

Christine@TheAums September 15, 2012 at 6:05 pm

If I help just one family get a nice group photo, this post will have been worth it. P.S. Re-read reason #2 above…I updated with a couple more ideas.

Arnebya September 13, 2012 at 5:53 am

Boy, are those four cute. And yes, peepee would probably make me smile pretty hard too. My 2-year-old has just learned penis. FUN TIMES ABOUND! Usually, he’s making up songs about butts (and yes, he taught me one and I caught myself humming about no poopy buttbutt poop on Buzz LightLight at work later that day). I am teaching him valuable lyric-writing skills. (He refuses to believe that Buzz’s name is LightYEAR).
Arnebya recently posted..Writer’s Workshop: ListeningMy Profile

Christine@TheAums September 15, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Thank you! See…you had no idea they were saying funny peepee stuff while smiling like that. I think you should do a video of you singing the poopy buttbutt song…would love to see and hear it!

Elizabeth September 13, 2012 at 7:36 am

I love it! Just embrace the potty talk. It’s all we can do, really. :-)
Elizabeth recently posted..Kids can put my potty mouth to shame, Part 2My Profile

Christine@TheAums September 15, 2012 at 5:56 pm

If you can’t beat ‘em…join ‘em…or fart on ‘em…or challenge them to a burping contest…or….

Elizabeth September 15, 2012 at 7:15 pm

No sense fighting it! *fffffrrrrrt*

emily September 13, 2012 at 8:57 am

We are on the cusp of this with potty training and whatnot, it seems pretty inevitable, and definitely funny at times.

Christine@TheAums September 15, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Yes, it’s a long road from here…might as well laugh through it!

hollow tree ventures September 13, 2012 at 10:01 am

Oh boy, this is going to be fun to try out when the kids get home from school – group picture, everybody!
hollow tree ventures recently posted..As The Dollhouse Turns – The New NeighborMy Profile

Christine@TheAums September 15, 2012 at 5:40 pm

It will work, I promise! If not, re-read that paragraph…I just updated with a little more detail ;)

grandma September 13, 2012 at 11:16 am

came home from having my eyes dilated (stll fuzzy) but had to read and couldn’t stop laughing…..(I love their picture by the fireplace)

Christine@TheAums September 15, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Thanks, Ma!

The Meaning of Me September 13, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Loved the cross out about the 41 year old male. I was sure having a sweet little girl would would help us avoid the potty talk thing. No such luck. She and Dad can’t help themselves when farts start flying around – literally or figuratively. It’s inevitable. And yes, hysterical. May as well go with it! :)
The Meaning of Me recently posted..What I Might Have MissedMy Profile

Christine@TheAums September 15, 2012 at 5:38 pm

My boys came first, so their younger sisters are pros and can hold their own in any fart or burp contest. They really do get along so well when they’re talking anything potty…quality bonding time I guess.

Vodka Calling September 13, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Wow! Your little ones are so close in age, how do you do it?!?!?!

My girls (7 and 5) still feel the need to let me know when they have to go poop! This is information I do not need to know.

Christine@TheAums September 15, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I never have a good answer for how I do it. I only know how to use potty talk to my advantage…or so I think.

Jenn September 14, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Oh, the potty talk in this house nearly does my head in!!! That said, I love the idea of yelling peepee to get them to smile.(it used to be that “piehole” cracked them up, but it’s wearing thin…)

Christine@TheAums September 15, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Plus saying piehole won’t give them that smiley look in the picture…definitely give peepee a try. Get creative. Do what you have to do to get the shot. P.S. I updated that paragraph in my post to give you a little more insight to the lengths I’ll go to get the shot ;)

Melinda @ Mom on the Make September 14, 2012 at 4:39 pm

So funny!! Why is the word poop or poopyface so freaking hysterical to little ones! :) My four year old son, thinks poopyhead is the funniest word ever created in this world. My oldest two are girls and are currently 8 and 10 years old. They do not engage in potty talk, but giggle when my 4 year old does, which of course does not exactly help the matter. Oh well, they will grow out of this stage…..eventually.
Melinda @ Mom on the Make recently posted..A Breezy Park DayMy Profile

Christine@TheAums September 15, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I’m not so convinced the boys ever grow out of it.

Katherine G September 14, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I must say your post definitely had me cracking up.
Katherine G recently posted..The Noise of The Gilbert HomeMy Profile

Christine@TheAums September 15, 2012 at 5:14 pm

That’s awesome…glad to hear it.

Katherine G September 14, 2012 at 7:12 pm

All your babies are so adorable!!!
Katherine G recently posted..The Noise of The Gilbert HomeMy Profile

Christine@TheAums September 15, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Thank you!

Sharon at Momof6 September 15, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Ha ha! Okay so you’ve showed me how to use potty talk to train syllables…. now let’s figure out a way to use it for math…. 3 farts + 4 poopoos equals how many emissions?

Maybe if I work on math facts like this- it will stick! :)

Say “peepee”!
Sharon at Momof6 recently posted..Weekly Video Wrap UpMy Profile

Christine@TheAums September 15, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Oh, now you’re talking, Sharon! Let’s see, there’s measuring the volume of gas farts emit, they could recite their multiplication facts in burps, weigh themselves before and after a BM and subtract the difference…this could be the education reform our public schools have been waiting for!

Kristin September 15, 2012 at 6:54 pm

ahahaha this is awesome! As a parent of a single child of 9, I can say with all honesty, the potty talk is just the same. She sings potty songs at the dinner table, is working on farting on command (!!), and poop jokes are the best things ever.

However, I do like the “I’m poopoo years old!”. I think I’m going to use that when asked my age.
Kristin recently posted..5 Tips for Mud RunsMy Profile

Christine@TheAums September 15, 2012 at 7:01 pm

L to the OL…”Poopoo” years old is a genius comeback when anyone asks us our age!

Alison September 16, 2012 at 4:02 am

Since my life revolves around poop (the cleaning up of, the worrying of why hasn’t someone pooped/ pooped too much etc), I think I’m set for life. :)
Alison recently posted..You Know You Live With Children When….My Profile

Leah September 16, 2012 at 8:07 am

Thank you showing me how to make it educational! It’s just starting in this house and I won’t be able to contain the 40 something year old, I mean 5 year old (okay both), much longer! And NOW you tell me how to get smiles for photos! Obviously you did not read my long day of trying to get the perfect family portrait! If I only knew then…
Leah recently posted..Chasing kids for photos.. uh, I mean taking photos of my kidsMy Profile

Rachee September 16, 2012 at 12:33 pm

FYI: My 12 year old and I can dissolve at the word fart. (and heaven forbid if someone actually does toot, pass gas or, well fart!)
Potty talk NEVER, EVER ends.
Rachee recently posted..#SOCS: Friends in Unexpected PlacesMy Profile

christine September 17, 2012 at 10:56 am

Everyone except for me is slayed by anything fart related. So when the song, “Mama Tooted” by Keller Williams came on the radio one day, my family, minus me, became the happiest family on earth. I was fine with it, as the song does have a catchy tune, until the day my then-2 year old started singing it at the top of his lungs in the grocery store.
christine recently posted..I’m a Fool for FootballMy Profile

Lanae @Hungrigyrl September 18, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I am so glad I read this – my kids are apparently normal. My 6 year old loooves potty talk and uses it incessantly! I never realized there were lessons to be learned from it though…thank you for pointing them out! :)
Lanae @Hungrigyrl recently posted..Running (From?) With the Kids: Family FitnessMy Profile

Tracey Black September 18, 2012 at 10:26 pm

You crack me up. This is hilarious. And to think that I’m always scolding my kids for using potty language. I need to let go and let them live a bit more – esp. with a wild card like letting them say it for photos.
Tracey Black recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: First Birthday Celebration and Looking Back on 8 Years of Birthday PartiesMy Profile

Nicole September 20, 2012 at 7:38 am

(Giggling)…You said poopoo.

Jen {at} take2mommy September 20, 2012 at 12:54 pm

“Say Peepee” at photo time is genius!
My 6YO get nightmares every single night. Next time he shuffles into my room at 3AM, scared from a bad dream, I’ll drop some potty talk on him and see if it helps :)
Jen {at} take2mommy recently posted..Spiffing up my boy’s bedroom with decorative wall decalsMy Profile

Candi September 21, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Totally stealing the photo tip.

Christine@TheAums September 26, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Can’t wait to see the pics!

Jessica November 30, 2012 at 5:01 am

Hilarious! Thank you for sharing this post with me!! I’m going to give this a try!
Jessica recently posted..My child modelsMy Profile

Christine@TheAums November 30, 2012 at 8:08 am

You’re welcome…it works like a charm…a poop charm. See, I just smiled/laughed typing that :)