Halloween, Just Another Excuse to Dress Up

by Christine@TheAums on October 30, 2012 · 14 comments

My kids play dress up every single day often. They don’t need a holiday to do it. They just need their dress up box of goodies. Half the time they don’t need anything but the clothes on their backs and in their drawers.

I never know what Halloween will bring as far as costumes go, but the years of coordinating family costumes are over. The kids are all old enough to have their own opinions and the freedom to really stretch their imaginations and bring their ideas to life.

HALLOWEEN 2012

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!

My oldest wanted to be a Skeletom (that’s a skeleton phantom) dressed in head-to-toe black. He used some dress slacks from his closet, the witch gown his sister wore last year, a black cape and skeleton gloves from the dress up box, and some black cowboy boots he received for Christmas. We used makeup that was left over from last year and voila! Skeletom.

Up until the moment of no changing minds allowed, my youngest wanted to be a catty, or a doggy, or a catty, or a doggy. She changed her mind when she found a Dorothy costume in the dress up box, a hand me down costume from a good friend, and her siblings told her Dorothy has her own pet doggy. The sparkly ruby red shoes were fished out of a Goodwill bag that I thankfully had lagged on donating. I braided her hair, found a cute little basket (which will double as her trick or treat bag), and she chose her little Alaskan Husky stuffed animal as the closest thing we have to Toto. Bam! Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz.

My two middles, who always seem to be at odds lately, surprised me this year by wanting to be the exact same thing…ghosts! So we hit up the nearest second-hand store for sheets, but as much as we’d all like to believe that you can just cut two holes in a sheet and be done, I’m here to tell you, it just doesn’t work that way. These were labor-intensive! There’s a trick to making it so they could actually see and I came pretty close to figuring it out. For one, I made the costume a 2-piece so they could remove the pillow case hood when eating or wanting to see better. I also sewed them to fit the top of their heads a little tighter which really helped keep the eye holes in place.

As far as homeschooling lessons go, my kids learned to be resourceful, frugal, and creative. They also had a great role-model for problem-solving in the form of a mama who wishes she knew how to sew better, but it was while sewing that I realized something important.

I’ve been pretty busy lately chasing my dreams, trying to balance many at a time, wondering when and which one/s will come true. But long before I had children, I dreamed of becoming a mom and doing things like sewing my kids’ Halloween costumes. It hit me while sewing late one night that I am living that dream and I couldn’t be happier.

Skeletom = $0.00
Dorothy = $0.00
2 Ghosts = $8.00
Staying up til midnight sewing costumes = Priceless

Janice October 30, 2012 at 1:36 pm

First….welcome back!!!
Those costumes are pretty awesome. I love the list you made in the end. The experience must’ve definitely be priceless. For $8 though, you might just be the queen of homemade halloween costumes! I think it might behoove me to learn how to sew one day…but I suppose I ought to start by buying a sewing machine, no? ;)
Janice recently posted..First Of AllMy Profile

Christine@TheAums November 4, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Thanks, Janice! I got lucky that I didn’t have to go back to the goodwill for more sheets and pillow cases. You should definitely keep your eye out for a sewing machine. I bet your oldest would enjoy doing a simple hem and you can dream up projects together. Sewing is very good for developing problem-solving skills and perseverance, let me tell ya.

Angus October 30, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Great column. And the “Dress up box” is a stroke of genius.
Angus recently posted..The DeLaveaga Fairway 5.7KMy Profile

Christine@TheAums October 30, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Thanks, Angus. They never cease to amaze me with their random dress up creations.

beth October 30, 2012 at 9:19 pm

wow- i wish I could say I was as creative on the cost end. But i had a euphoric moment yesterday when all the costumes started coming together little alone time and a dat with my hot glue gun. Pics to follow!!

Christine@TheAums October 30, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Couldn’t believe 2 sheets and 2 pillowcases only set me back 8 bucks! I saw the Wild Thing costume…so cute and can’t wait to see more.

John October 31, 2012 at 11:49 am

Looks like a very cute Halloween . . . we’re still working on the “dress up” pile, but this marks the second year in a row that we’ve made the costumes.

Happy Halloween :-)
John recently posted..Where I think about life as a professional musicianMy Profile

Christine@TheAums October 31, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Homemade’s the best! You can add this year’s costumes to the “dress up” pile :)

Mama J@Mama, Hear Me Roar November 1, 2012 at 11:19 am

Love this post and hilarious pics especially what you say at the end – you are living your dream! What a blessing.
Mama J@Mama, Hear Me Roar recently posted..Home made cucumber milk face cleanserMy Profile

Christine@TheAums November 4, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Thanks, Mama J! What a blessing is right :)

Runnermom-jen November 1, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Awww, your little ghosts, skeleton, and Dorothy are SO cute!!! I’m so impressed by your frugality and mad sewing skillz!! Good for you, mama :)
Hoping ALL your dreams come true.
xo
Runnermom-jen recently posted..A Love Story…and pumpkinsMy Profile

Christine@TheAums November 4, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Thanks so much, Jen!

@MryJhnsn from iNeedaPlaydate November 5, 2012 at 1:09 pm

You are such a cool mom! Love the costumes and I love that you made them! This is the first year that I did not make anyone’s costume! And, to be honest I am a little relieved but sad as well because I could not brag about what an awesome job I did hehehe…
@MryJhnsn from iNeedaPlaydate recently posted..Happy Belated HalloweenMy Profile

Christine@TheAums November 7, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Mary, I’m sure by buying costumes this year you just freed yourself up to do some other awesome things to brag about ;)