When Moms Go To The Bathroom

by Christine@TheAums on November 7, 2012 · 29 comments

I spend a lot of time in the bathroom. You would, too, if it had a lock and you had four kids. Most of the time I sit on the counter and prop my feet up against the opposite wall. It’s quite comfy.

Knock, knock.

“Mama, what are you doing in there?”

“Oh, you know…

(Reading a good book I can’t put down.
Reading a terrible book I can’t put down.
Writing a blog post.
Reading a blog post.
Working on a deadline.
Checking email.
Sending email.
Updating Facebook, twitter, instagram.
Eating leftover takeout I don’t want to share.
Eating chocolate in peace.
Taking deep breaths- Aummmm…..)

…just going to the bathroom.”

“Why can’t I see your feet?”

“I don’t know. That’s weird.”

“Well, when are you coming out?”

“In a few minutes. Why don’t you go play and I’ll come to you when I’m done.”

“Can you see me, mama. Can you see my hands.”

“Yes.”

“How about now?”

“Yes.”

“What about now?”

“Yup.”

“Now?”

“Uh-huh.”

(Are all bathroom doors this short?!)

I always feel like somebody's watching me...

Whether I’m actually using the bathroom or not, this is my reality.

They slip drawings under the door, ask me where their favorite toy is, tell me stories, tell me they’re hungry, and tell me they love me. Now that’s the kind of potty talk I can put up with.

Elizabeth November 7, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I think you should claim BOTH Chocolate AND “The Bathroom” as your offices.
Elizabeth recently posted..The QuestionMy Profile

Christine@TheAums November 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm

So true! And they both have chocolate. But I’m sure you’d only meet me at one of them.

Elizabeth November 8, 2012 at 8:59 am

Don’t be so sure… I’m really strange. ;-)
Elizabeth recently posted..Home Ear Infection RemedyMy Profile

Lela November 7, 2012 at 5:11 pm

You speak the truth. Have you considered hiding on top of the washing machine? They never look there.

Christine@TheAums November 13, 2012 at 12:34 pm

So true. I have been imagining a little office set up in my laundry room come to think of it.

Nicole November 8, 2012 at 6:46 am

So funny and true for mamas everywhere! My little one has outgrown doing this, and this post makes me miss it! Can’t complain about the increased “alone” time, though.

Christine@TheAums November 13, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Of course this never happens to Aj…what’s up with that?

Not Those Kennedys November 8, 2012 at 7:21 am

That’s hysterical–and so true. I have a 6-year-old–and, alas, no lock. She’ll launch into a dissertation while I’m half dressed and really needing private time. The upside is that nothing phases her. It’s like I’m a blank wall.

Christine@TheAums November 13, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Haha! That’s hilarious about the dissertation…pretty spot on.

John (Daddy Runs a Lot) November 8, 2012 at 7:00 pm

You know, at one time of my life, I thought a cat, on the other side of a bathroom door, was the most annoying thing in the world.
John (Daddy Runs a Lot) recently posted..Where I discuss my Thursday lunchesMy Profile

Christine@TheAums November 13, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Another reason I can’t yet combine 4 kids AND pets of any kind.

Janice November 9, 2012 at 1:13 am

Ahhh, the bathroom. Sanctuary! Unfortunately, I have a 1 year old baby who now walks around so I can’t close the bathroom door. Ever. Even if I ask the almost 8 year to “watch your brother for a minute” so I blink my eye, there’s no guarantee the little guy won’t stick something in his mouth before I even finish my sentence.

Although, I do get those bathroom moments when the hubs is home. I just sorta sit on the toilet and pretend I’m not done – while I tweet, instagram, facebook, blog, read blogs, play tetris… They always wonder why I take so long to use the bathroom. Ha! Like I would ever tell them. >insert evil laughter here<
Janice recently posted..2012 November PAD Challenge: Day 8 – “Dead Poets”My Profile

Christine@TheAums November 13, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Janice…I adore you!

Angel Tsunami November 9, 2012 at 10:31 am

Best. Blog. Post. EVERRRRRRRRRRR.

xoxoxox

Miss you, pretty girl.

Christine@TheAums November 13, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Aw, thanks Angel. I’m so happy to see you back in the blogosphere!

Julie Moore November 10, 2012 at 8:52 am

That’s beyond cute!!! :) Thanks so much for sharing. Made me smile! Happy Sharefest! :)

Christine@TheAums November 13, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Thank you! And thanks for stopping by!

Julie Moore November 13, 2012 at 12:59 pm

You’re welcome! :) Glad I did!
Julie Moore recently posted..{Guest Recipe} Coconut and Pineapple Smoothie (Soy, Fish, Wheat, Nut, Egg and Milk-Free)My Profile

The Lovely One November 10, 2012 at 8:53 am

Ha ha ha ha! That’s really funny! I have the same problem…. but maybe you should do something about that space under the door!

Happy Saturday Sharefest!
The Lovely One recently posted..The Cybil Saga– ConclusionMy Profile

Christine@TheAums November 13, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Thanks for stopping by! I’m sure the landlord would love to hear about my bathroom door issue, lol.

Ashley @ Bottles, Diapers... Babies November 10, 2012 at 11:33 am

I have recently stated doing this myself. Thankfully however, my bathroom door goes to the floor so no peeking eyes. ;-)
Ashley @ Bottles, Diapers… Babies recently posted..Co-Hosting the WTFab’s SundayFunday Blog HopMy Profile

Christine@TheAums November 13, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Lucky! Although that picture is pretty precious to me ;)

Jessica November 10, 2012 at 6:44 pm

lol. I love this!! Bathrooms are such a safe haven for moms. I have tried reading in the bathroom, but usually the house gets destroyed in the meantime. :( So… I gave up on that.

Christine@TheAums November 13, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Such a catch 22!

christine November 10, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Why, oh why, are children given radars so they can always tell when Mom locks the bathroom door? Like I can really do anything for them at the moment. The worst is when they answer the phone, then bring it to you while you are having some personal time.

I love the photo of the little face peeking under the door. Perhaps a bath mat, placed just so, would help keep the eyes out? They’ll still yell, but they won’t be able to see what you are doing.
christine recently posted..Things That Go Bark/Cough/Pee in the NightMy Profile

Christine@TheAums November 13, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Oh, believe me I have tried all manner of bathmats, towels, and clothes to barricade that little gap. They just think it’s a game and pull everything through. Makes me laugh just thinking about that.

Rachee November 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Ha!
When The Bee was that age she and one of her friends came busting into the bathroom where I was taking a shower to ask me something that really could have waited. Another time, she and her cousin were arguing about something that demanded my attention (not) and I declared the bathrooms off limits. No calling, no asking questions, no nonsense. To this day it works, almost to well. Now she spends way to much time in there and when I knock it’s all…but it’s my time mom!
Rachee recently posted..#TBCCrafters Under the Big Top!My Profile

Christine@TheAums November 13, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Oh no! I never thought about the tables being turned!