Life Before and After Kids

by Christine@TheAums on November 29, 2012 · 26 comments

I’ve been thinking a lot about what life used to be like before kids. I know that sounds kinda mean, but I didn’t say I’ve been FANTASIZING about life before kids. It’s just that lately, with my youngest having reached three-and-a-half years old and no more babies on the way, I am slowly becoming reacquainted with the old me. Did I say “old?!” Scratch that…I meant the relatively young me who is just older with four kids, but not old!

I recently posted on my Facebook page, which if you haven’t liked please do because I’m trying to reach 213 likes by 2013:

Now even though sleep dominated the answers, because we all know motherhood would be oh so different on 8 or more hours of solid sleep, I really enjoyed reading these and fantasizing, I mean…you know, reminiscing:

*Surf everyday and wear a size 2…but I miss the waves more! ~Bonnie
*Sleep… ~Tina and Jessica W. of Four Plus An Angel
*Sleep at night. ~Jessica T. of My Time As Mom
*Complete a thought. ~Angela
*What didn’t I do!! Seriously, though – I’d say watched TV shows with my husband at night. Bedtime sucks up SO much of that time!!! ~Andrea of Good Girl Gone Redneck
*I used to sleep. I used to go to the movies! I read a handful of books a month. ~Melissa of Melissa In the Raw
*Journal. Read. Sit down for full meal. ~Beth
*Sleep, get up when “I” wanted to, shopping was all about me, a full house cleaning took maybe 30-45 minutes. All the law and order svu and criminal minds shows I wanted, when I wanted. And last I used to be able to wear a size 7-9. ~Shawna of The Uncensored Mama
*Sleep, read, dress cute without fear of getting puked on. ~Nicole
*Curse less. ~Kim
*Sleep, exercise and eat healthy! ~Shanna of This Mom Recycles
*Sit on the couch with a bag of chips and a bowl of salsa for dinner or finish left over desert in the fridge for breakfast, haha. Oh, and go to the gym 4-5 days a week! ~Tara
*I miss reading until all hours! ~Marisa

I really did use to make homemade bagels! I did everything short of dehydrate my own onion and garlic to sprinkle on top. I also cooked elaborate recipes from actual cookbooks that required me to drive to faraway markets for exotic ingredients. Now, I read cookbooks like novels…to escape and dream about all the lovely meals I could be making. Then I ask my husband to pick up dinner from the taqueria.

Before and After Kids

I’d love to keep this conversation going. What did you used to do before kids?

Jessica November 30, 2012 at 4:59 am

Okay. Can I say I love this post? I used to do a lot before kids. I was very much into natural remedies for common ailments like menstrual cramps and headaches. For cramps, I would drink tea, do stretches, give myself acupuncture, take herbs, and sleep. Now, I just take Advil and call it a day. lol.
Jessica recently posted..My child modelsMy Profile

Christine@TheAums November 30, 2012 at 8:06 am

Give yourself acupuncture!! That’s hardcore, Jessica.

Frances November 30, 2012 at 9:43 am

We use to have at least two date nights a week one was always dancing- I miss dancing SO much! I also miss running down to teh beach and not worrying about sidewalks for the stroller (there’s a pretty big intersection right before the beach that is horrible for pedestrians!)

Christine@TheAums December 2, 2012 at 6:16 pm

How fun! Wish we lived closer so we could hang with Noah while you went out dancing.

Peggy November 30, 2012 at 12:10 pm

When I was a young mom I missed uninterrupted showers, dinners that took more than 15 minutes to make, and laundry piles that actually went away. Now that I’m on the other side of parenthood, I find myself fantasizing/reminiscing about sleepy morning cuddles, reading “Are You My Mother,” and bowls of mac ‘n’ cheese on rainy days.
Peggy recently posted..All ears all the timeMy Profile

Christine@TheAums December 2, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Peggy, I know I’ll do the same thing when I get to the other side. And I’ll make homemade bagels again, too ;)

Kathryn December 1, 2012 at 6:33 am

Wow great post and that’s awesome that you can make homemade bagels! I wouldn’t know where to start! Stopping by from SIT’s have a great weekend!
Kathryn recently posted..Homemade Salt Dough OrnamentsMy Profile

Christine@TheAums December 2, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Thanks for stopping by. Truth is, I wouldn’t know where to start with homemade bagels these days…it’s been too long!

Kg December 1, 2012 at 7:10 am

Get up and do anything I wanted at any time.
Kg recently posted..Featured Item Fridays: Party In a BoxMy Profile

Christine@TheAums December 2, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Yup. That about sums it up.

JDaniel4's Mom December 1, 2012 at 7:15 am

I want do Tara’s after idea!
JDaniel4′s Mom recently posted..Great Joy- Read.Explore.Learn.My Profile

Christine@TheAums December 2, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I loved her answer, too!

Tracie December 1, 2012 at 7:19 am

I never made homemade….well, anything.

But I did used to go to a lot more movies.

(going to like you on facebook now!)
Tracie recently posted..Girl Meets WorldMy Profile

Christine@TheAums December 2, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Thanks for the FB like!

Kim@Co-Pilot Mom December 1, 2012 at 7:23 am

I used to stay up late without thinking, ‘if I go to sleep right now, I will get X hours of sleep.’

I used to read and watch TV and movies a lot more, too.
Kim@Co-Pilot Mom recently posted..My Nightmare, His AdventureMy Profile

Christine@TheAums December 2, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I feel so out of the loop when it comes to movies. Even when I try to watch one at home I start to feel sleepy the minute it starts. Also, I do the same thing…always calculating the amount of sleep I’m getting.

Valerie @ Momma in Progress December 1, 2012 at 7:55 am

I used to complain about how little time I had. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Yes, for real.
Valerie @ Momma in Progress recently posted..24 Hours at Our HouseMy Profile

Christine@TheAums December 2, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Oh that is too funny!

Sheila Skillingstead December 1, 2012 at 9:48 am

Before kids I worked hard and travelled with my husband. Bowling, golf, movies, shopping, time with friends. We were living in Australia at the time. Perfect time to be there without children. We did bring home a dual citizen. She can’t be president. Oh, well.

I enjoyed your blog and love the pink flowers on your website. Enjoy Sharefest.
Sheila Skillingstead recently posted..Friday night and too much to doMy Profile

Christine@TheAums December 2, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Thank you! I admit, I went off on a little day dream just reading about your life before kids.

Jamie@SouthMainMuse December 1, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I can’t remember. It’s been 19 years. Hmm. I didn’t use to be preoccupied with worrying about anything but myself. Now all I do is worry something will happen to them.
Jamie@SouthMainMuse recently posted..The Charlie Brown Advent WreathMy Profile

Christine@TheAums December 2, 2012 at 5:57 pm

So true. That’s one worry I cannot turn off.

The Tired Mother December 3, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Before kids?
I remember being on time for things, for one.
I used to dance, and ski, and mountain bike, and travel, and go to movies, and go out to dinner. I worked hard, I played hard. I had real friends who had common interests, instead of ones who have children the same age as mine.

There are things I miss, sometimes, but this is a short period of time, in the grand scheme of things, and God has me here for a reason. And these days are precious, even though they are a complete blur.

Britton December 5, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I used to do sooo much before I had my children! Gosh….reading, daytime naps, shopping more, it was just soo…great.
Britton recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: 2012 Holiday DecorMy Profile

Jessica December 10, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Hmm…it seems many of us used to sleep before having kids.

Thanks for including me!

Now maybe I can go take a nap….
Jessica recently posted..Sugar, Spice and Oh So Pretty!My Profile

christine December 13, 2012 at 4:54 am

I vaguely remember a time when I could remember things without writing notes or making my phone remind me of something I was to do.
christine recently posted..To Shave or Not to ShaveMy Profile