Wedding China- Either You Do or You Don’t

by Christine@TheAums on January 22, 2013 · 16 comments

In my last post, I talked about two things from my childhood that I saved for my kids: my baby blanket and a box full of Ranger Ricks from the mid-80s.

Today I’m writing about saving my wedding china, and I don’t mean in a box in the attic.

On Facebook, Annie from Mama Dweeb asked if anyone had a complete set of china from their wedding. The majority of the answers could be summed up as either “No, I didn’t bother registering for china” or “My china never sees the light of day except for Thanksgiving- if even that!”

I’m definitely in the minority because I love my wedding china! My family doesn’t have a tradition of registering for china, but on my husband’s side, great Nana insisted on this rite of passage. The exact moment we announced our engagement, she exclaimed in her Long Island accent (I’m horrible with accents-but I’m pretty sure she pronounced it chiner), “Have you picked your china yet? No?! Oh, Christine, what are you waiting for?”

So my fiancee and I went to the Dining and Entertaining section of Macy’s which I previously had never stepped foot into. It was a total Frosted Mini-Wheats commercial. I felt like any second the jig would be up and my engagement ring would loosen and fall to the floor, revealing the kid in me that really prefers the sugar-coated side to china patterns.

Wall upon wall of patterned plates was slightly overwhelming, so we decided to split up and peruse at our own pace. My pace went something like, no-nope-nah-no way-yeah right-ha! as I walked back and forth scanning each row. Somewhere in that 5-minute search was a whole-hearted, love-at-first-sight, “Yes!” However, I never let in on it. Why? Because I didn’t want to give my fiancee any hints as to what I liked. I was curious what patterns HE would pick and whether this would be our first disagreement as an engaged couple. What if he insisted on something so ghastly I’d have to call off the wedding right then and there in the Dining and Entertaining section of Macy’s?! I’m sure I wouldn’t be the first.

When we came back together to announce our contenders, I only had “the one.” I went first, pointed to my choice, and turned for his reaction. “That’s the one I picked, too,” he said. Really? Out of at least a hundred? I was blown away! And how did I know he wasn’t just saying that to please me and get the china ordeal over with? Because he followed with, “It reminds me of my mom.” Well, that sealed the deal on both our china pattern and our upcoming nuptials because I also had a flash of his mom when I saw it, and I wasn’t just saying that to please him. My mother-in-law is a beautiful, kind, and simple Japanese woman. My husband definitely got his good looks from her.
WeddingChina
We registered our china pattern and left Macy’s for Bed, Bath, and Beyond where I felt right at home listing measuring cups and dish towels on my bridal registry.

It turns out we never received a complete set of china for our wedding so we were left to complete it ourselves (insert laughter). What we do have, though, is stored right alongside our everyday dishes. My philosophy is if they break, they break. But they haven’t. If there’s a fire, I certainly wouldn’t care about saving them. But while they’re around and I’m around, I’m going to enjoy my china dishes and the thoughts I have when eating off them. They remind me of my wedding, one of the happiest days of my life. They bring to mind those who contributed to our collection- mostly aunts and grandparents- the elders who blessed our marriage and gave the brand new china an aura of being in our family for generations. The food we eat is infused with all those thoughts and feelings. That is why I love my wedding china.

As far as saving it for my children, though, I have no idea how that works or if any one of the four will even want it. I know that when I set the table with the china dishes, both of my daughters get excited and tell me how much they like them. Perhaps I’ll divvy it up between them one day, or they’ll divvy it among themselves when I’m gone.
Chinasoupbowl
I googled our pattern after that Facebook post and found it on Replacements.com. It’s really pricey, but with our 10-year anniversary coming up in June, I might look into a buying a dish here or there.

So, where do you stand on the china issue…wedding china that is?

Kristi January 23, 2013 at 8:49 am

Found your blog from A Fly on our (Chicken Coop) Wall.

I didn’t register for china. I do have some that I found at an incredible garage sale –”Oh, I don’t know . . . why don’t you give me $10 for the box?”–but I’m guilty of not using them often. In theory, I like the idea of using them frequently; in practice, I’m afraid of putting them in the dishwasher and too lazy to want to hand-wash dishes daily.

Besides Replacements.com, you might want to search on ebay. I found a serving dish to match my pattern on ebay, and for much less than Replacements. com asked.

Christine@TheAums January 23, 2013 at 3:39 pm

You know, you bring up a good argument for NOT using the china very often- the fact that I can’t put them in the dishwasher is kind of a drag sometimes. Thanks for the ebay tip…hadn’t thought of that! Thanks for stopping by!

Christine@TheAums January 23, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Oh, our dishwasher has a china setting but I’ve always been afraid to use it.

Annie January 23, 2013 at 11:46 am

You make me want to go buy the rest of my china set!! Oh I really do adore the pattern you both picked out. It is such a sweet and sentimental story :)

And I am honored that I was able to inspire such a post :D
Annie recently posted..WW ~ Sisters in fashion and attitudeMy Profile

Christine@TheAums January 23, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Thanks again, Annie :)

Aleta January 23, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I have a full set of China and it’s not boxed away. It’s in a China hutch where you can visibly see all of the pieces, so it’s on display, but we don’t use it. Greg complains about us not using it… and maybe now that we are having a family, we will do more family events at our home to take it out. But for now.. it’s pretty :)

And I love that you use yours and I love the pattern on it!
Aleta recently posted..Baby Shower All American Frontier Meets Modern ClassicMy Profile

Christine@TheAums January 23, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Now that someone brought up the having to wash by hand part, you might want to use the china just for the two of you, lol.

christine January 24, 2013 at 4:39 am

We did not get china, and I’m glad, seeing as we have moved so many times over the course of our marriage.
I love that you use your china. I especially love that you use it with the jar glasses. Getting fancy, but not too fancy. :)
That is a great story of how and why you picked the china you did.
christine recently posted..The Great Unveiling – I Have a Badge!My Profile

Christine@TheAums January 30, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I love that you noticed the mason jars glasses!

Mama J@Mama, Hear Me Roar January 25, 2013 at 7:08 am

Wedding china is something we’re unfamiliar with. We get ang pows – money stuffed neatly into a red packet! Then we buy whatever we like :)
Mama J@Mama, Hear Me Roar recently posted..Sweet Man, green things and muddy little hands ‘n’ feetMy Profile

Christine@TheAums January 30, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I love the sound of “ang pows” and I wouldn’t have a problem with that tradition at all ;)

Runnermom-jen January 25, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I love the reason you picked your china, and I love that your husband picked the same one too. It really is beautiful! We didn’t register for any for our wedding…never even thought about it, I guess.
xo
Runnermom-jen recently posted..Eight is Great…My Profile

sarah sundayspill January 28, 2013 at 6:01 am

you know, we actually DID get all china we registered for, but we’re the ones who only bust it out at Thanksgiving. Seeing your little one enjoying the soup though has me thinking differently. WHY are we not using our stuff more frequently? It’s silly. I don’t have a very strong emotional attachment to it. I only picked it out because like you I was young and every older woman relative was saying DO IT. So, I did. I think we’ll eat on them more :) There.

Christine@TheAums January 30, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Yes, enjoy them while you can! How awesome that you received a complete set.

Janice February 5, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I don’t own a single piece of china. We didn’t register for it. It wasn’t really a traditional thing for our families (and if it was, nobody bothered to tell us). I didn’t even know about it being a tradition at all. Sure, we set foot inside Macy’s and the China section, and looked at all the pretty things… but in the end, we decided it was too expensive. And we figured, no one would ever get us those for gifts either, so we just never got any. Is that bad?
Janice recently posted..3 Going On 30My Profile

Christine@TheAums February 5, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Not at all. Did you end up registering anywhere?