A Reality Cooking Show You Can Watch With Your Kids

by Christine@TheAums on March 9, 2013 · 11 comments

DIY Pasta BarMy latest cooking adventures on iVillage, also known as Episode 2, debuted over a week ago. I’ve been so caught up with trying to find housing for my family, and the possibility of having to move by the end of the month, that I’m just sharing it with you now. I loved the feedback I received on the first episode, which featured Homemade Tacos and Spanish Rice. I think the Lego part was everyone’s favorite because it was so real, which is the whole point.

I want to show a real mom* with real kids cooking in a real kitchen…a reality cooking show you can watch with your kids.

And some of you did! Parents who watched it with their kids were pleased to see that not only were their kids entertained, they wanted to help make the recipe. Music to my ears! With this cooking show, I hope to inspire families to prepare a meal and enjoy it together, plain and simple. But it’s not always that simple, is it? I know, I know, cooking with kids can be challenging. Just don’t avoid it or give up. I promise, the more you involve your kids in the kitchen, the sooner they can make you breakfast in bed. Now if that isn’t motivation…

Here are some fun facts about the show.

1. It’s shot in real time, meaning we really do cook the food and eat it for dinner that day. No fakey fake stuff here. No chefs in the background preparing food in advance, and definitely no cleaning crew besides ourselves.

2. I let my kids use knives. The 3-year-old gets a butter knife or blunt serrated knife, but my 5, 7, and 8-year-olds use the next sharpest knives in the kitchen. Each child gets a cutting job that works with their knife and fine motor skills, and I relax about wanting everything cut in uniform size. They do get better with time and practice.

3. My kids really did ask for Brussels sprouts in this episode. How did I get my kids to like Brussels sprouts you ask? I told them that it was the favorite vegetable of their very good friend. I then invited that friend over and served b-sprouts so they could witness and be open to trying them. It worked! I don’t have to do this with every vegetable, but Brussels sprouts were new to our entire family up until recently. And  it’s not a typo…there really is an s at the end of Brussels.

4. I love lentils and they are yummy in pasta sauce, plus they add protein and a “meaty” texture. I make lentil soup from scratch all the time, but I like having the precooked lentils from Trader Joe’s on hand for a quick addition to pasta and salad.

5. A DIY Pasta Bar is pretty similar to Taco Night. I love meals where I can just put everything in the middle of the table and everyone fends for themselves. They may not always choose the healthiest options, but it’s important that those options are there. Continuous exposure to healthy food works and is way more effective than continuous begging them to eat their vegetables.

6. The bracelet I’m wearing is a lovely gift from my friend, Brandi Jeter, who blogs at Mama Knows It All. Brandi has been a huge supporter of this show coming to life so it’s my little tribute to her generous encouragement.

7. *The only thing not real about this episode is me wearing dangling earrings while cooking, but they matched my tank top and I just couldn’t help myself.

Without further ado.

Suze March 12, 2013 at 12:58 am

Oh Honey-You’ re wonderful and amazing as usual. Watching you and the kiddles gets me excited about being a grandma. Te quero mucho-xox Suze

Christine@TheAums March 12, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Mil gracias, Suze!

christine March 12, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I love your show for a few reasons. First, I so enjoy reading about your family, and getting to see them in these cooking shows is a treat. Secondly, I know so many people who don’t let their kids cook with them. When I say my kids cook with me, they think I’m nuts. It’s important for people to see that kids really can do so many things in the kitchen. Lastly, you mix two different kinds of pasta. I would have done the same thing. :)
It’s true. Your kids will make breakfast in bed for you. My nine year old surprised me on Mother’s Day last year with made from scratch pancakes at 5:30am. He didn’t know how good they would taste, so he added chocolate chips to make them better.
christine recently posted..This Boot Was Made For Walkin’My Profile

Christine@TheAums March 12, 2013 at 4:54 pm

9 years old, huh? Perfect. My oldest will be turning 9 close enough to Mother’s Day this year. Although, my 3 year old did bring me a bowl of grapes in bed this morning…if all 4 of them just join efforts I will have a feast! I really appreciate your feedback on the show.

Rachee March 12, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Love the idea of a pasta bar! Far too often I’ll make pasta and my kid won’t want sauce, my nephew won’t want onions and shenanigans ensue. This will make it so much easier.
Good tips that I am totally stealing.
-r
Rachee recently posted..#MondayListicles Smells Like Oh My!My Profile

Christine@TheAums March 12, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Great! Yes…the pasta bar idea is all yours! Works for kids and adults. I’m even thinking of having this theme for my next potluck and having everyone bring a topping.

John (Daddy Runs a Lot) March 13, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Don’t fret about the earrings . . . if it looks good on video, it goes :-)

I, actually, am planning on doing the same . . . just, well, when my kids are a little bit older. The show, right now, would be me swearing under my breath while trying not to trip over kids hanging on my legs.
John (Daddy Runs a Lot) recently posted..Where I introduce my musicalMy Profile

Christine@TheAums March 13, 2013 at 3:51 pm

It’s all in the editing, John. One day I will reveal my blooper reel for the world to see. Just making sure I can’t get fired anywhere first.

Runnermom-jen March 18, 2013 at 11:34 am

Haha!! “get off the table”…sounds like my house!
You are so good at this :)
xo
Runnermom-jen recently posted..Weeds…and a photo dumpMy Profile

Christine@TheAums March 22, 2013 at 11:19 am

Totally…trying to leave those real moments in as much as possible. Thanks, Jen.