Hey, a new episode of my iVillage cooking show is live! Here are some behind-the-scenes facts on Episode 3:
1. It has a super cheesy intro…perfect for the homemade Mac and Cheese recipe I share.
2. My daughters prefer dress up clothes to aprons, hence the princess and Dorothy from Oz helping in the kitchen.
3. Warning: this episode contains graphic footage of a toddler with a knife.
4. I learned that there is a term for my method of cooking: mise en place. It’s French and means having all your ingredients prepared and set out on the counter before you cook. I mention in this video why I do this, but I had to cut out the actual interruptions that took place. A shame, really. You might’ve enjoyed seeing my 3-year-old approach me with a live bug, concerned that we shouldn’t put it outside because it was raining. Soon after, a neighbor knocked on our door. Total reality show material here.
5. Originally, this recipe was supposed to be about making individual ramekins of Mac and Cheese, letting the kids customize and healthify it with broccoli or peas. My kids eat their vegetables, but no one messes with their Mac, so I had to put the veggies on the side.
6. Smack to the forehead moment: When I claim that my kids just love cucumbers and carrots, and then my 3-year-old claims she doesn’t. Let’s see, last episode she didn’t like pepper; wonder what she’ll dislike next week?
7. The breadcrumbs…mmmm…still thinking about those breadcrumbs.
What do your kids prefer…boxed or homemade mac and cheese?